Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | why am I paying so much for internet?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

why am I paying so much for internet?

Old 21-05-2015, 20:56   #1
spreadsheet
cf.geek

Services: virgin internet / sky TV
spreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to all
Question why am I paying so much for internet?

ok - so I have two virgin accounts

one in my flat - costs 26.50 per month for just internet

one in the cafe - costs 52.50 per month for just internet (static IP)
one is a business account the other a domestic

the domestic one seems better and more stable
so how come I have to pay double?
spreadsheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-05-2015, 21:08   #2
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all
Re: why am I paying so much for internet?

You pay for the static ip, and for the SLA
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 21:09   #3
spreadsheet
cf.geek

spreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to allspreadsheet is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
You pay for the static ip, and for the SLA

static IP is a fiver

what's SLA?
Old 21-05-2015, 21:18   #4
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadsheet View Post
static IP is a fiver

what's SLA?
SLA is the time you have to wait for a fault to be fixed
Old 21-05-2015, 21:23   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Business BB costs more due to the faster fault fix time and the static IP service.
Old 21-05-2015, 22:39   #6
spreadsheet
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Business BB costs more due to the faster fault fix time and the static IP service.
Yeah ok
but I only use it for simple browsing and a few online orders.

(jackk ass ears appearing when I think about signing up for it)
Old 21-05-2015, 23:18   #7
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

..then dump the business account and get PAYG mobile broadband from EE using their Osprey product.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 13:22   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadsheet View Post
Yeah ok
but I only use it for simple browsing and a few online orders.

(jackk ass ears appearing when I think about signing up for it)
The business product runs on the same infrastructure and is subject to the same issues as the consumer product, you are just paying for better and/or faster service when things go wrong (and even that's not guaranteed). It's essentially partial insurance against failures.

If you don't need it, don't pay for it. Plenty of businesses use consumer products and vice versa.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:33   #9
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
If you don't need it, don't pay for it. Plenty of businesses use consumer products and vice versa.
However Virgin Media track which are residential properties and which are commercial.

You can get Virgin Media business to install into a residential property, but in general you won't get Virgin Media residential services in an official business address.

Mainly this connected to Virgin Media residential offering TV, but don't do that for commercial addresses / businesses.
Old 22-05-2015, 23:21   #10
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Just to add in - this isn't just something specific to Virgin, there's plenty of business grade ADSL services that are a fair bit more than the consumer equivalent. As others have said, you're paying for better support when something goes wrong.

Also, I believe the VM business connections aren't traffic managed during business hours, but I could be wrong about that.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 23:35   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

They will have the option to provide the business modems a higher quality of service in the near future.

Whether they do this or not is different. I can't think of a cable company that does.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 19:06   #12
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
They will have the option to provide the business modems a higher quality of service in the near future.
Will that be via the existing devices, or new do you know?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote