Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pirate Bay domain seizure ordered by Swedish court

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Pirate Bay domain seizure ordered by Swedish court

Old 20-05-2015, 16:30   #1
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Pirate Bay domain seizure ordered by Swedish court

Notorious Pirate ship sets sail for new shores after a Swedish court ordered the seizure of both thepiratebay.se and piratebay.se domain names.

Still up and running though with different domain names.

More HERE
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2015, 16:49   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Pirate Bay domain seizure ordered by Swedish court

LOL.

Complete waste of time - what did they think would happen, that PB would just vanish

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 11:41   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Last time I checked the pirate list there were over 5,000 proxies for TPB. Total waste of time.
Old 24-05-2015, 16:05   #4
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Last time I checked the pirate list there were over 5,000 proxies for TPB. Total waste of time.
Good point more they try more advertise the address of PB to those who didn't know it before hand.......copyright fools have lost the fight but won't admit defeat..... if they did they would soon learn of earlier offers from PB & it's founders that the plan they up was good for both side so by the copyright lobby turning their back on it & going after every one, they lose at every turn.

PB under a new name >1 X 0 < Copyright lobby

You have to feel sorry ....not for those poor souls in the copyright lobbyist moment that front for big media multinational companies thinking just about pure profit not mass entertainment for the mass paying public.
BOOHOO >
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 19:56   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I thought I gave some good rants...
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 19:58   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlight View Post
big media multinational companies thinking just about pure profit not mass entertainment for the mass paying public.
I thought the whole point of the Pirate Bay was to avoid paying?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 21:57   #7
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I thought the whole point of the Pirate Bay was to avoid paying?
Not always.... There's also the fact of getting shows weeks or in some instances months before they're due to be shown over here

The free part is of course a bonus

Media company's need to take a fundamental look at how content is delivered globally and their pricing models imho
Old 24-05-2015, 22:28   #8
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Proved yet again that take downs don't work. The websites providing links can move faster than any of the take downs.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 22:55   #9
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

What is the way of stopping illegal downloads? If people can download the content illegally for free, would they pay even if the pricing models are revamped?
Old 25-05-2015, 13:09   #10
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
What is the way of stopping illegal downloads? If people can download the content illegally for free, would they pay even if the pricing models are revamped?
If I could download the content at a reasonable price and it's available at the same time globally then yes absolutely I would pay
Old 25-05-2015, 14:32   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

I suspect your idea of a 'reasonable price' and that of the content producers might be quite different though.

They're never going to be able to match 'free' in any event.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 15:55   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
If I could download the content at a reasonable price and it's available at the same time globally then yes absolutely I would pay

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 21:11   #13
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I think the takedowns do work. It has the effect of making it more hassle and convoluted to find pirated content. Some people have proxies and VPNs and surf around these sites at a whim for the moderately technical or casual user these aren't as common. They might have a single source they were recommended which is subsequently pulled and they lack the knowledge or inclination to surf around a million different proxied domains to find an alternative. They might do it once and find that the site they found last week has also being pulled.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 13:32   #14
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Some would pay, but I suspect a lot wouldn't.

I remember once working in Blockbuster. We had a bunch of tapes we needed to get rid of, but we needed to enter the fact on the system that we had got rid of them (don't ask me why the manager could not have just marked them as disposed on the inventory). As such, we put a couple of tables out in the store with these free tapes, with the necessary notices that we still needed to scan them.

A lot of them were stolen.

Also, when I worked in a local hospital canteen, at the end of every day, we sold off any unsold sandwiches for a fraction of their marked price (a few pence). IIRC, more stuff was nicked from that shelf than from anywhere else..

Finally, when I worked in the same hospital (actually doing the accounts for the catering department), we discovered a massive discrepancy between the amount of food several wards were ordering and the amount of patients registered in those wards. Basically, we were allocated so much money per day, per patient (only a couple of pounds a day). All food and drink that patient was given came out of that allocation. Several wards were running out of food regularly. When we investigated, we found that the staff (and specifically several nurses), rather than come down to the heavily subsidised canteen, were eating the food allocated to the patients.

So yes, even if stuff is available for a reasonable price (and the food in that canteen was pretty good quality and cost a *lot* less than it would have outside), there *are* people who will steal it.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Proved yet again that take downs don't work. The websites providing links can move faster than any of the take downs.
Actually, they don't. Take downs are not a permanent solution (and I don't think anyone who knows anything about piracy or security would seriously suggest they are), but they are a way of controlling piracy.

I think they suffer from the same thing that a lot of security systems suffer from. The fact that not only is it almost impossible to prevent other sites or methods being found, but that the bad guys can move quicker than the good guys.

An off line example of this.

A friend of mine used to work in the DSS Security department. It was their remit to ensure that people did not fraudulently claim things to which they were not entitled, and also ensure that Giros were not forged.

I remember talking to my friend once and he actually said that any change they could make to the Giro would be made to the forgeries 6 to 8 weeks after (including stuff like holograms), so I asked him why the DSS invested so much in changing the design all the time. His answer? The amount saved while the forgers where unable to forge the new design was usually far greater than the amount spent on the new design..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote