Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1080p Full HD vs Quad HD vs 4K display. Does it even matter?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

1080p Full HD vs Quad HD vs 4K display. Does it even matter?

Old 20-05-2015, 18:16   #16
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: 1080p Full HD vs Quad HD vs 4K display. Does it even matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Err 1080p is 2K.
Correct, only 128 pixels difference on the horizontal.

1080p = 1920 x 1080

2K = 2048 x 1080
Old 20-05-2015, 19:08   #17
roger skillin
Inactive

Services: V+ XL,Broadband XXL, Phone with talk unlimited and extra TIVO box
roger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quadsroger skillin has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Err 1080p is 2K.
Thanks for your patronizing comment
If you had seen that i was talking about a gopro you'd have realized my error in that i meant to say 2.7k which 2704x1524

However 2K is referred to as 2048 × 1536 pixels so the comment under you is wrong by Snoopz
roger skillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 19:17   #18
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post
If you had seen that i was talking about a gopro you'd have realized my error in that i meant to say 2.7k which 2704x1524

However 2K is referred to as 2048 × 1536 pixels so the comment under you is wrong by Snoopz
It is not wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution
Old 20-05-2015, 19:52   #19
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger skillin View Post

Well sorry, I meant to say 8K.

But a piece of simple logic here, if you can't grasp it as it is:

Where does the '4' in '4K' come from?

What is exactly half of '4'?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:24   #20
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

the Question is do we really need a smart phone on steroids???

HTC one m9 gets Hot
and LG flex 2 get very HOT aswell both have snap dragon 810 chipset.

1080p is not 2K. @qasdfdsaq lol are you joking? i thought you knew alot about computers and technology. but reading your comments makes me think different.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:35   #21
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Erm... I have a Note 3 and it gets hot!

Phones get hot its nothing new or worrying.

2k and 1080p aren't really all that different!
Old 29-05-2015, 21:38   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
1080p is not 2K. @qasdfdsaq lol are you joking? i thought you knew alot about computers and technology. but reading your comments makes me think different.
Basic math dude. If 2160p is 4K, 1080p is 2K.
Old 29-05-2015, 23:11   #23
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

@Stephen if you read the reviews on tech radar you won't be argue with me snap dragon 810 over heating issue. and reviews on HTC one m9 and LG flex 2...

and 4K won't be different from 2K or 1080p.
1080p no difference from 720p?
need super man eyes don't eye? to see the difference.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:48   #24
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Where are the links to these 'reviews' you speak of?

As the Techradar article I posted earlier just asks if its overheating, as there is a confirmed evidence, bar a few phones that seem to get warm, but as I said my Note 3 get mega hot when using certain apps. As does my Macbook pro, had it up to 78 degrees while gaming and as its a metal body it feel like its about to catch fire.

But nothing really to worry about. Same goes for the snapdragon CPU. These things WILL get hot under load its really not a problem but some people are trying to make it one.

I can asure you 1080 looks better than 720p and QHD looks better than both of them. 4K does look amazing on my brothers 65" Sony 4K TV.
Old 30-05-2015, 19:25   #25
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dards2.svg.png

1080p is nearly, but not quite, 2k

It's all marketing speak anyway. Definitions subject to change depending on needs of marketing people.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 22:04   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dards2.svg.png

1080p is nearly, but not quite, 2k
By that reckoning, UHD/2160p is nearly, but not quite 4K. But eveyone calls it that anyway.

Quote:
It's all marketing speak anyway. Definitions subject to change depending on needs of marketing people.
That much is true. Practically all TVs marketed as "4K" are actually UHD and "not quite 4K"
Old 31-05-2015, 16:03   #27
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I've seen 1080p and 4k running next to each other on 60" tv's playing the same demo and believe me you can see the clarity difference in 4k over 1080p
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 17:01   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I've seen 1080p and 4k running next to each other on 60" tv's playing the same demo and believe me you can see the clarity difference in 4k over 1080p
a) Chances are it was UHD, not 4K
b) A lot of these demos are deliberately exaggerated to mislead.
Old 31-05-2015, 20:50   #29
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I thought HD was 16:9 and 2k 16:10?
Old 31-05-2015, 23:17   #30
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Resolution is not the same as the aspect ratio.

As16:9 and 16:10 have been around since before HD and UHD/4K

I have seen 4K and UHD and both look stunning and better than 1080p.