Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub plug noise

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub plug noise

Old 25-04-2015, 14:42   #16
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: Superhub plug noise

The switchers we design for industrial panel equipment can sometimes make a noise at high line input and low load. It's a normal consequence of the supply trying to square the input / output circle and the pressure to cut costs. The operating frequency can fall low enough to be audible.

Just on the odd occasion we've had clients mention it and only once raised it as an issue. For that client we had the transformer specially impregnated with additional varnish to cut down the volume to an acceptable level.
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2015, 16:02   #17
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

... and the switchers you design for poxy Superhub PDUs...? LOL!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 16:26   #18
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... and the switchers you design for poxy Superhub PDUs...? LOL!
Not me m8

Just saying that because there's some noise it ain't about to blow.
Old 25-04-2015, 17:47   #19
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Who knows? This sort of noise is vibration, right? Things tend come loose when they vibrate, in this case electrical things. I understand why glue is applied to the potentially noisy components, but if the electrolyte (if any) has started to leak from the capacitor.....

I wouldn't be happy.

Old 25-04-2015, 17:53   #20
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Who knows? This sort of noise is vibration, right? Things tend come loose when they vibrate, in this case electrical things. I understand why glue is applied to the potentially noisy components, but if the electrolyte (if any) has started to leak from the capacitor.....

I wouldn't be happy.
It's called magnetostriction. It comes from magnetising the core of the transformer. It slightly changes the dimensions and thus makes a noise.

Normally we try to run the PSU's at above 20kHz so users simply can't hear it.
Old 25-04-2015, 18:52   #21
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It's called magnetostriction. It comes from magnetising the core of the transformer. It slightly changes the dimensions and thus makes a noise.

Does that frequency apply to the poxy Superhub PSUs?

And to interpret your explanation, change of dimension means vibration, the frequency of which defines the noise pitch. The vibration can transmit to other components that in a confined space such as a poxy Superhub PSU, need to be glued into a more stable alignment.

Am I wrong?

Old 25-04-2015, 19:44   #22
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

Chances are the buzzing on the SH's adapter is 50Hz hum from the primary side, not the switching on the secondary.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:

And to interpret your explanation, change of dimension means vibration, the frequency of which defines the noise pitch. The vibration can transmit to other components that in a confined space such as a poxy Superhub PSU, need to be glued into a more stable alignment.

Am I wrong?
Not entirely sure what you're getting at. The very basis of electromagnetic transformers involves electromagnetic fields and thus forces being applied to the components. When things are subject to forces, they move.

All electromagnetic transformers vibrate and whine. How much exactly is a matter of design and manufacturing tolerances, but it's no different to the buzzing you hear around overhead mains transformers and substations. Doesn't mean it's broken or about to blow up.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 20:21   #23
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Chances are the buzzing on the SH's adapter is 50Hz hum from the primary side, not the switching on the secondary.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Not entirely sure what you're getting at. The very basis of electromagnetic transformers involves electromagnetic fields and thus forces being applied to the components. When things are subject to forces, they move.

All electromagnetic transformers vibrate and whine. How much exactly is a matter of design and manufacturing tolerances, but it's no different to the buzzing you hear around overhead mains transformers and substations. Doesn't mean it's broken or about to blow up.
What I'm getting at is that in a cheap product like the poxy Superhub PSU, noise due to vibration should be regarded as a fault because vibration in such a device is not certain to be harmless - contrary to Heero's view.

Old 26-04-2015, 01:02   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I disagree. I'm not aware of any case where anyone has ever been harmed by a buzzing Superhub PSU.

Cheapo products are more likely than expensive ones to exhibit vibrational noise, that's intentional and by design.
Old 26-04-2015, 07:02   #25
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I disagree. I'm not aware of any case where anyone has ever been harmed by a buzzing Superhub PSU.

Cheapo products are more likely than expensive ones to exhibit vibrational noise, that's intentional and by design.
Then mine (all of them past & present) must be a manufacturing fail as none have ever exhibited vibrational noise to my ear.

Old 26-04-2015, 08:48   #26
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Then mine (all of them past & present) must be a manufacturing fail as none have ever exhibited vibrational noise to my ear.
None of mine have exhibited a noise, maybe we should phone VM and ask for a power module that makes a noise.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 15:44   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Ermm, no, try reading back up a bit
Old 26-04-2015, 16:01   #28
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:

Am I wrong?
Just comes from a dimensional change in the transformer core when it is magnetised. If this happens to be below ~18KHz then you'll hear it. If I get close to my SH1 plug-top PSU I can hear it singing but as it runs cool then there's no issue. Most of them are singing their heads off, it's just ultrasonic so you can't hear it. Mind you your dog or cat might. Encapsulating the transformer will cut the noise but it costs.

But I've only designed these sort of switching supplies for 30+ years so what do I know?