Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Steam start marketplace for mods

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Steam start marketplace for mods

Old 24-04-2015, 10:35   #1
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Steam start marketplace for mods

Title says it all. It appears the Good guy Steam is wearing thin. I don't really have anything to say about it because it doesn't effect me as much. I think it has both pro's and cons though. The pro's being well made mods get rewarded with some form of compensation and it encourages people to take it up a lot more. Con's being the amount Valve take from one sale. It's rumoured at 75% but that can't be right.

Valve are getting ever closer to joining the cash cow of milking gamers as much as they can. They got years of praise for being the company that didn't, Counter Strike Global Offensive and It's ludicrous amount of Micro transactions say otherwise.

http://i.imgur.com/BJP4c33.png

That's the one doing the rounds to suggest they take 75% but it has to be fake. A more plausible outcome is 25% steam, 25% game developers and 50% creator. That would really open up a huge modding market and encourage game developers to leave their game more open to the third party.

Quote:
Credit to /u/Haker10201 for finding out exactly how payment is going to go.
I did some digging, and I found out a concrete answer:
You can link a bank account to your steam account, and the money that you make will be transferred to your bank. They pay out money on the 30th of every month, for the previous month's sales. However, they ONLY pay if you've sold at least $400 in mods (they say "earned money is at least $100", and since your earned money is 25% of the actual money, you need to sell $400). Also, if the payment from Valve has some sort of error, and doesn't go through, they send the money on the billing cycle, as they don't pay off cycle. So, if they have some sort of error, you're -------- for a month, regardless how much you're supposed to make.
And, if you don't sell at least $400 in mods, you don't get a single penny until you DO sell that much. So what happens if you never hit that $400 mark? Lol valve gets to keep 100% of your profits. They also state that if you don't have a valid bank account, but charge for your mod, valve keeps 100% of profits, because they don't hold money for users.
Appears to be the actual process. Removed swears from the quote.
Old 24-04-2015, 14:41   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Steam start marketplace for mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Appears to be the actual process. Removed swears from the quote.
WTF. If that's true there's going to be uproar, I guarantee it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 16:37   #3
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

The development team behind Cities: Skylines have been one of the first to speak about it and they're far from amused. They may take legal action against any party profiting from modding their IP.

This is a mess and their is already an uproar in the PC community qas.

Quote:
When an item is sold via the Steam Workshop, revenue is shared between Valve (for transaction costs, fraud, bandwidth & hosting costs, building & supporting the Steam platform), the game developer (for creation of the game and the game's universe, the marketing to build an audience, the included assets, and any included modding or editing tools), and the item creator (including any specified contributors). The percentage of revenue an item creator receives from direct sales of their item in this Workshop is 25%, as stipulated in the Supplemental Workshop Terms. Your individual share may be smaller if you have added other contributors that share in the royalty payments.
I don't think anyone actually has a clue as to what's going on now. I can see this entire idea being pulled.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Also adding, this comes years after Skyrim modding and just over a week after the release of GTA V. Valve timed this right before another modding boom.
Old 28-04-2015, 01:12   #4
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace...team_workshop/

Valve back down after less than a week. Destroyed.
Old 28-04-2015, 02:32   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I.
Am.
Not.
Surprised.

Once I saw the 25% revenue share become official I knew it wasn't going to last long...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote