Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is Virgin blocking remote access to my router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Is Virgin blocking remote access to my router

Old 18-04-2015, 12:15   #1
extender
Inactive

extender is an unknown quantity at this point
Is Virgin blocking remote access to my router

Hi.

I have a super hub and have it connected to a rt-n66u and running Asus merlin firmware, it is set so I can access router remotely as I am not residing at the address where my server and Internet are based, I keep losing access to the remote gui after some period of time and I have to ring the house and ask someone to reboot it. I have a openvpn server running well on it so I can safely see my server, when the gui becomes unresponsive I can still connect to the vpn and forwarded ports on the router for some time until eventually they fail...sometimes it comes back to life on its own accord but mostly I have to have it rebooted... I'm tearing my hair out with this as I did not have this problem with ddwrt but had wireless issues with it which is why I chose merlin. I have changed the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.11.1 and I have also enabled https ports but these lock out as well, I have a dyn.com pro account for ddns and when the gui is unresponsive remotely I have no issues accessing the gui locally ... any one else had these issues or have any idea where I should be looking. .
extender is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2015, 13:50   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Is Virgin blocking remote access to my router

Which Superhub is it you have?

I highly doubt VM would block access. If you can access it sometimes then it could simply be that the SH has crashed.
Old 19-04-2015, 08:57   #3
extender
Inactive

I dont think the super is to blame, not sure what superhub it is, did know there was a new one..the internet is quite solid there, if it was a case of the internet dropping i would be able to get back in when it picked up again.
Old 19-04-2015, 11:09   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

It may get assigned a different IP?

Which one of these do you have?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...TICLE_ID=27653
Old 19-04-2015, 15:22   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Im also having issues.

Even tho it states my IP to router is 192.168.1.1 when i try and connect i get an ASUS page saying IP are being updated and page will be refreshed and nothing happens.

It was all working perfectly last time i checked last weekend.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 09:25   #6
extender
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It may get assigned a different IP?

Which one of these do you have?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...TICLE_ID=27653
I have the original one, not the sh2, it rarely changes on modem, I have ddns setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Im also having issues.

Even tho it states my IP to router is 192.168.1.1 when i try and connect i get an ASUS page saying IP are being updated and page will be refreshed and nothing happens.

It was all working perfectly last time i checked last weekend.
Had the same problem with my rt-n16 which is why I bought the n66u.
Old 21-04-2015, 09:31   #7
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

its all working again now since i did a full reset.

Its the first time its happened and ive had the router since November.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote