Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Looking to return!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Looking to return!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:34   #16
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Looking to return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
As a person who after many years was a V+ and then finally took the plunge and got TiVo (mainly because it was cheaper the package) I will have an attempt to answer.

Navigation took a little time to get use to but on the whole quite intuitive, picture is clean and the added tuner is useful. Series link and recording suggestion also has been a welcome addition along with ability to record based on keywords.

Apps and BBC I player are generally a miss but that's my own opinion; more of a gimmick then a must have no doubt if I didn't have alternative means to stream I player I would use TIVO and be able to give a full impression. I tried it once in January but it buffered so I abandoned, likewise searching on sky movies is a bit ancient and therefore just use the sky movies app on iTunes but that is horses for courses.

Spacewise 1 GB is plenty and the added benefit if you are sky movies customer sky movies are in Hd for TIVO; I usualy search on app and then watch via TiVo and this works fine.

The only grip I miss is the out and out reminders feature from V+ and the closest we have in TiVo is remind and record which is a little pants. Does the job but then end up deleting which to me is stupid; yes it's a whole new way of watching but I just want it to be simple where I chosen something to watch in hour time and I want it to automatically change channel in an hour. Simple on V+ but not available on TiVo

So in conclusion, good box, in my utopian world I would have V+ simplicity with HD movies and larger disc space but I have TiVo and pretty content with it
Without wishing to drag this whole thing up again, I really struggle to understand the problem. This workaround was provided by VM to overcome a problem in delivering something that some people wanted. I don't understand at all why anyone should be bothered that it records when it reminds. After all, you couldn't use the tuner if you wanted to watch the programme live, so where is the problem?
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2015, 13:30   #17
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Simply laziness old boy; I have to delete the item that is being recorded simply so as to be reminded it was starting.

I do appreciate I am probably in the minority and is just my opinion, for me as you state it is a workaround and not a full solution.

As you stated clearly on a number of occasion how you watch and mange your TiVo is undoubtedly different to how I use it and neither of us are wrong
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 15:20   #18
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

After logging in and looking at my upgrades and offers page (this is confusing) if I ask retentions if I could have the Big Kahuna Bundle this would reduce my bill by £14.00 a month! If I took the upgrades this would increase my bill by another £14.50. What the!!!!
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 17:10   #19
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

You could still be paying for part of the old month package perhaps? Worth a call as you will have a cooling off period
Old 13-04-2015, 13:10   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
Simply laziness old boy; I have to delete the item that is being recorded simply so as to be reminded it was starting.

I do appreciate I am probably in the minority and is just my opinion, for me as you state it is a workaround and not a full solution.

As you stated clearly on a number of occasion how you watch and mange your TiVo is undoubtedly different to how I use it and neither of us are wrong
I understand, but the TIVO cannot cope with the solution that would be best for you.

Maybe you should set a reminder on your mobile, then you wouldn't have a programme to delete! It also wouldn't matter if you weren't watching TV at the time, you'd still receive the alert.
Old 13-04-2015, 13:29   #21
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I understand, but the TIVO cannot cope with the solution that would be best for you.

Maybe you should set a reminder on your mobile, then you wouldn't have a programme to delete! It also wouldn't matter if you weren't watching TV at the time, you'd still receive the alert.
Thanks OB , I have tv guide app which provides this functionality so actually this might be the solution!.

Now, i wonder if they could add that to TV anywhere app?....
Old 13-04-2015, 17:57   #22
fatmat8
cf.addict

Services: ntl
fatmat8 will become famous soon enoughfatmat8 will become famous soon enoughfatmat8 will become famous soon enough

i switched from sky back to v.m. having originally with virgin but am a bit dissapointed as when i tape cycling i never get to see the finish of a race as it always stops recording about 4 kiiometers from the finish . damn and blast
fatmat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 18:02   #23
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmat8 View Post
i switched from sky back to v.m. having originally with virgin but am a bit dissapointed as when i tape cycling i never get to see the finish of a race as it always stops recording about 4 kiiometers from the finish . damn and blast
Is that because the scheduled end of the program, turns out to be about 4 kilometers from the end of a race?
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 19:14   #24
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmat8 View Post
Usually Tivo asks you if you want to add extra padding on a live event, mine did yesterday when I recorded the Paris -Roubaix race .
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 12:45   #25
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Usually Tivo asks you if you want to add extra padding on a live event, mine did yesterday when I recorded the Paris -Roubaix race .
It's worth doing anyway with some programmes. Live events, yes, but BBC programmes can often end after the time of the next scheduled programme. Sometimes even ITV programmes can overrun, which is surprising considering you'd think that the adverts would act as a buffer.

Sky programmes are generally quite punctual. Why can't all the schedulers follow that example?
Old 14-04-2015, 20:47   #26
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

The only real gremlin here, is that you can set extra-time on a "live" program to cover late-running. But you can't do anything to subsequent programs (or even just the following one) to cover a late start - except padding.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 17:58   #27
fatmat8
cf.addict

Services: ntl
fatmat8 will become famous soon enoughfatmat8 will become famous soon enoughfatmat8 will become famous soon enough

thank you for your suggestions , but it seems i am still on a learning curve .
fatmat8 is offline   Reply With Quote