Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Looking to switch but lack of African channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Looking to switch but lack of African channels

Old 19-03-2015, 21:32   #16
IAmErroSennin
Inactive

IAmErroSennin can only hope to improve
Re: Looking to switch but lack of African channels

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, I have only waited T reply as to gain as much info as possible.

It seems as though the best option may be to get a Freeview + box, however it had me thinking is buying an expensive new box and having to switch sources really a worthwhile option since my parents are not that technologically literate.

If they are any alternative ways to get just these 3 channels and VM please let me know as I was really looking to switch from sky and their overpriced service
IAmErroSennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-03-2015, 22:28   #17
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Could you just get VM for the broadband/phone and use the Freeview box for all your TV?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 09:55   #18
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

According to an earlier poster they are available as 'Freesat from Sky' so to me the best option would be to keep the satellite dish and just get a viewing card from sky, i think it costs £10?

http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/channel-list.html
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 10:13   #19
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
According to an earlier poster they are available as 'Freesat from Sky' so to me the best option would be to keep the satellite dish and just get a viewing card from sky, i think it costs £10?

http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/channel-list.html
You wouldn't need to buy a new card, you could just keep the existing one. And as pointed out, the channels are not listed on the Freesat from Sky website so this needs verifying.
Old 20-03-2015, 12:55   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yes - it's just like switching between Cable and a BluRay player.

Just select the appropriate input channel.
Thanks, I think i'll do this.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
You wouldn't need to buy a new card, you could just keep the existing one. And as pointed out, the channels are not listed on the Freesat from Sky website so this needs verifying.
I did ask someone with Sky to verify this for me, if anyone has Sky they can check if they are Free To Air by taking out their viewing card completely and seeing if the channels remain viewable.

Erro: The channels you are asking about aren't on Freeview or Freeview+ to my knowledge.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 23:19   #21
johnathome
cf.geek

johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Erro: The channels you are asking about aren't on Freeview or Freeview+ to my knowledge.
See my post #3 in this thread.

RichardCoulter had a friend who confirmed they are on Freesat from Sky, also see my link to the complete freesat from sky channel list above
Old 21-03-2015, 03:18   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

RichardCoulter had a friend who confirmed they are on Freesat from Sky, also see my link to the complete freesat from sky channel list above
I stand corrected.

The box that my friend has is a Sky box with no viewing card.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 17:07   #23
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Regarding that list of channels in post 3 http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/channel-list.html

TVC News is on that list
BEN TV is not on there
Vox Africa is not on there

Hope this is helpful.
Old 27-03-2015, 19:03   #24
johnathome
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Regarding that list of channels in post 18 http://www.sdsdigital.co.uk/channel-list.html

TVC News is on that list
BEN TV is not on there
Vox Africa is not on there

Hope this is helpful.
Vox Africa 218

BEN on 182

Hope this is helpful