Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Email Tracking

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Email Tracking

Old 25-03-2015, 20:29   #76
Wittmann

Services: Kahuna TiVo Big Bundle.
Re: Email Tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
A) can you show me where it states it is illegal to stand outside your house filming?

B) Are you gaining consent for your email receipt requests, as stated under the PECR?
A - This is your actual statement Hugh, not what you have said in "A". Not quite the same is it ?

"I hope you have no objection to people standing outside your house, videoing your every movement (and using infra-red for when you close your curtains), and then posting it on YouTube."

Now tell me it is not illegal, Check it with the Police if you like. I know the outcome. They would most likely put you on their Peeping Tom list of suspect characters.

B - I do not get receipts, I get a notification that my Email has been opened. and I do not legally need any consent for that.

You can of course jigger up your system in an endeavour to stop tracking, but you will risk losing vital Emails. You will be tracked and there is nothing you can do about it. Just relax, think of England and go with the flow.

Now I know what 2 Para and 14th Int thought of the Anglians.
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2015, 22:16   #77
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Why object to the filming, if you have nothing to hide?

Under PECR, yes, you do - you have put something on their equipment, which sends something back to you, and you need their consent for that.

I quite liked 2nd Royal Anglians - I lived in some of their MQs in Sakrower Kirchweg until a RAF MQ became available in Gatow; btw, I thought you had left before 14 Int was formed?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2015, 23:29   #78
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittmann View Post
The sales people in the blog would not agree with your rather unrelated comment. They went WHOOPEE for tracking and so do I. Great innovation and enhancement to communications technology.
OK but you've avoided answering the question.

Would you have any objections to me standing at your front room window and watching whatever was going on inside? A straightforward yes or no will do.

(by the way I'm not intending to turn up at your house)

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 06:37   #79
Wittmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
OK but you've avoided answering the question.

Would you have any objections to me standing at your front room window and watching whatever was going on inside? A straightforward yes or no will do.

(by the way I'm not intending to turn up at your house)
Read my post 76, it answers that question precisely.

It is a fairly stupid question in any case and has absolutely no connection with the legal art of Email tracking.

What is all the huff and puff about in any case ? Email tracking is here to stay on a grand and popular scale, whether you like it or not. Whatever your personal views, they will make no difference at all. Tracking will not just go away because you and a few others do not like it.

Old 26-03-2015, 09:22   #80
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:

It is a fairly stupid question in any case and has absolutely no connection with the legal art of Email tracking.

What is all the huff and puff about in any case ? Email tracking is here to stay on a grand and popular scale, whether you like it or not. Whatever your personal views, they will make no difference at all. Tracking will not just go away because you and a few others do not like it.

Not quite sure it is an art form ..

.. I hope email tracking will go away once the enough people are aware of it. Seems a simple addition to the privacy laws that govern IT. Just needs enough publicity to inform people that this kind of snooping can be done to them.
Old 26-03-2015, 09:28   #81
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

So we should all thank the OP for raising a subject many people won't be aware of and will now be able to complain loudly about thanks to his desire to promote such dubious services.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 09:47   #82
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Actually, the ICO has stated anyone wanting to use tracking has to gain the recipients' permission, and this is backed up by the DMA's guidance, as I posted earlier - so if people don't give their permission, it will have to 'go away', whether you like it or not.....
Old 26-03-2015, 09:51   #83
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

http://security.stackexchange.com/qu...cking-services
Old 26-03-2015, 10:10   #84
Wittmann

I have nothing more to say on this subject other than what I have already said. My taking part in further argument on this matter is futile, tracking is here and is here to stay.

Whatever guidance is given by various bodies, it is only a guidance and makes not the slightest dent in the ever increasing popularity of tracking by individuals and commercial concerns worldwide.

Obtaining a receipt by decision of the recipient is reverting back to the gentleman and scholar attitude of Victoriana.

I rest my case.
Old 26-03-2015, 10:34   #85
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

No, it is the law, and if you don't do it, you are in breach of the PECR.

The DMA info is guidance on how to stay within the law. The ICO is telling what is required.

Just because you put your fingers in your ears and sing "lah lah la can't hear you la lah lah", doesn't change the fact you are in breach if you do not ask for permission.
Old 26-03-2015, 12:10   #86
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

I don't call your views 'stupid', please have the courtesy to not do the same for mine.

Quote:
Now tell me it is not illegal, Check it with the Police if you like. I know the outcome. They would most likely put you on their Peeping Tom list of suspect characters
Where does that say yes or no?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 12:53   #87
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Hugh you are impossible and have obviously never been in the military. Over and out is used in field communications. But since you use films as the criterion for military terminology, keep on watching.

You do get everything wrong. I am not comparing myself with the military, the example was given in some desperate attempt to show you that to ask for a receipt from a target, is so stupid that it is barely worth my effort in quoting it since you did not get the message.

I am finished with this thread.
There is nothing you can say or do that will alter the widespread practice of Email tracking one iota. Enjoy your day. I have unsubscribed from this thread.
Ok, yet...

Quote:
I have nothing more to say on this subject other than what I have already said. My taking part in further argument on this matter is futile, tracking is here and is here to stay.

Whatever guidance is given by various bodies, it is only a guidance and makes not the slightest dent in the ever increasing popularity of tracking by individuals and commercial concerns worldwide.

Obtaining a receipt by decision of the recipient is reverting back to the gentleman and scholar attitude of Victoriana.

I rest my case.
You persist.

Unsolicited tracking of your digital communication is illegal, just as it is illegal to track if you have opened and read your physical mail.

There's a big difference between someone confirming they have received a communication by the person itself (For example calling a bank to say you received a letter asking for a meeting with your bank manager) and your PC telling Tesco that you read their latest advertising e-mail at 10:44am on a Sunday in March, all without telling you and without the option to NOT tell Tesco thank you very much.

Also, I love how you call EU law "guidance". I mean I know we all love EU laws and stuff but hey, that's fun.

Also, I love how you deny that you receive read receipts, but then you get told that you do! Being notified that someone has opened their e-mail is the definition of a read receipt. Such an action, requires notification and consent and Outlook for example can block incoming read receipt requests. So, while you can quite legally ask for notification that I have opened your e-mail, I am fully, and legally allowed to refuse, and you would be none the wiser.

Again, if a system tracks how a user interacts with their communication, with no way to opt out or knowledge that this is happening then it is illegal. Throwing a huff and saying "lalala I'm not listening" does not change the law.

You do seem to have problems with anyone who challenges your views. Rather than accepting dissenting opinion and that people will have reasonable viewpoints based on evidence, you attempt to discredit them. When this fails you have resorted, repeatedly to try to silence people by saying that you've had enough as if nobody elses opinion even counts in your eyes.

Either enter a debate in good faith, or do not enter at all.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:47   #88
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop It View Post
Ok, yet...

You persist.

Unsolicited tracking of your digital communication is illegal, just as it is illegal to track if you have opened and read your physical mail.

There's a big difference between someone confirming they have received a communication by the person itself (For example calling a bank to say you received a letter asking for a meeting with your bank manager) and your PC telling Tesco that you read their latest advertising e-mail at 10:44am on a Sunday in March, all without telling you and without the option to NOT tell Tesco thank you very much.

Also, I love how you call EU law "guidance". I mean I know we all love EU laws and stuff but hey, that's fun.

Also, I love how you deny that you receive read receipts, but then you get told that you do! Being notified that someone has opened their e-mail is the definition of a read receipt. Such an action, requires notification and consent and Outlook for example can block incoming read receipt requests. So, while you can quite legally ask for notification that I have opened your e-mail, I am fully, and legally allowed to refuse, and you would be none the wiser.

Again, if a system tracks how a user interacts with their communication, with no way to opt out or knowledge that this is happening then it is illegal. Throwing a huff and saying "lalala I'm not listening" does not change the law.

You do seem to have problems with anyone who challenges your views. Rather than accepting dissenting opinion and that people will have reasonable viewpoints based on evidence, you attempt to discredit them. When this fails you have resorted, repeatedly to try to silence people by saying that you've had enough as if nobody elses opinion even counts in your eyes.

Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 14:47   #89
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Quote:
Ok, yet...

You persist.

qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2015, 16:23   #90
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Standard procedure for under bridge dwellers

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote