Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Redundant

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Redundant

Old 04-03-2015, 20:32   #31
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Re: Redundant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
To (try to) be fair it may be they don't have much information to give but now is the time to be reflecting on your experience and trying to see the wood for the trees (no pun intended). It's not easy and not something which can be rushed. It's important, however, to be in the right (positive) frame of mind when you gather the information. Essentially your CV has to promote what you have to offer and that's largely a function of what you've done and how well you've done it. Think not only about your various job titles/functions but what skills you've displayed, challenges you've risen to, ideas you've come up with etc. etc. Make sure there's a place for these things in your CV because they're what separate you from the rest.
Thanks for the info I'll bear it in mind when I sort out my CV

Happened this morning, nearly 17 years of service and I've been finished, about 30 people were let go today and most of those who went had over 10 years service.
Written to CSA, signed on online and have my interview tomorrow morning.
Spent a couple of hours looking for a job within my trade and nothing is out there.
Mind you if I want to drive 50 miles each way I could get a job with my skills for minimum wage

Got a list as long as my arm for bits to do around the home, making a start with that tomorrow so I'll be trying to keep myself busy.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2015, 17:30   #32
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Presuming you'd be looking for something similar, try to identify companies operating in the same or a similar marketplace where your skills/knowledge will be directly relevant. Skills are transferrable, however, so don't rule out other sectors. Competitor companies are often another source of opportunities. I can't stress how important it is to be imaginative and proactive rather than reactive. There's nothing to be lost by applying for advertised roles but targeting potential employers directly offers a number of advantages amongst which is that it's a lot cheaper for the employer, which always goes down well. Networking and making use of other leads (e.g. local news articles) as to what may be going on where can help you target potential employers who may have something to offer, for example, because you've just read they've won a large contract. Believe me, lots of jobs are found by people who, through their own research, have put themselves in the right place at the right time. There's another benefit too - a psychological one - receiving a steady flow of rejections in respect of dozens of vacancies you didn't really want but decided to apply for is very depressing, so be selective about whom you apply to. If you have a number of applications on the go concurrently (some speculative*, others in response to advertised vacancies etc.) you avoid that awful feeling of having no hope. When it comes to job hunting, less is more.

* Speculative in the sense that you've approached a potential employer directly having done your homework on them as opposed to speculative in the sense that you've sent off 100 generic CVs to a list of names in a phone book.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 19:59   #33
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

One thing about sending out CVs, don't fold them put them in white A4 envelopes, yes it will cost more to post but it will look more professional, I also used 100/120gsm high quality paper (I was given some which a ream cost the same price as a box of 5 reams.

Also don't expect a response from everybody, of the 28 I sent out to company's in my field (Part -145 aviation company's), only 8 bothered to reply and one was a rolling contract which became full time.
Old 13-03-2015, 22:40   #34
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Well 9 days after being made redundant I have some work which could quite well lead into a fulltime roll. Self employed at the moment and will be for the next month, then it'll be a week or so break then back full time. (fingers crossed)

The signing on process was a humilitating experience, I have no idea what I would do with the £72 pw. It would cover the mortgage & council tax and thats about it.

There was another round of redundancies at my old place and all thats left from a 60+ workforce are 8 office & 8 shop floor.

Its a shame that its gone, we made high quality furniture and now its being run until it ceases trading which will probably be within the next week.

The amount of experience, expertise and skill that has been binned is unquantifiable, 80% of the workforce were 10 years+ and about 4 of us were over 15 years.

Bad management and poor business decisions led to its downfall. I honestly thought I would end my working days there.
Old 13-03-2015, 22:47   #35
jodash
Inactive

Services: Virgin VHDX1 Tivo X2 100mg B/B and Telephone (VIP) IPhone,Ipad
jodash is on a distinguished roadjodash is on a distinguished road

Glad you got some work I was made redundant nearly 3 years ago after 50 years of working (only 2 companies) was expected to live on £72.00 P/W (6 months only) and then live of my savings
jodash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 22:56   #36
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Well 9 days after being made redundant I have some work which could quite well lead into a fulltime roll. Self employed at the moment and will be for the next month, then it'll be a week or so break then back full time. (fingers crossed)

The signing on process was a humilitating experience, I have no idea what I would do with the £72 pw. It would cover the mortgage & council tax and thats about it.

There was another round of redundancies at my old place and all thats left from a 60+ workforce are 8 office & 8 shop floor.

Its a shame that its gone, we made high quality furniture and now its being run until it ceases trading which will probably be within the next week.

The amount of experience, expertise and skill that has been binned is unquantifiable, 80% of the workforce were 10 years+ and about 4 of us were over 15 years.

Bad management and poor business decisions led to its downfall. I honestly thought I would end my working days there.
Luckily I have never had to sign on but I can appreciate how soul destroying the whole process can be when you would give anything to not be in that position. So it's good to hear that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel alf. I too will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 13-03-2015, 22:59   #37
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodash View Post
Glad you got some work I was made redundant nearly 3 years ago after 50 years of working (only 2 companies) was expected to live on £72.00 P/W (6 months only) and then live of my savings
One would expect that the longer you paid in the longer you would be in receipt of contribution based benefits. Alas not the case.
This was the first time in about 25 years I was out of work. I was avaliable for work after signing on for 5 days, after I signed off I was told that there was a 7 day waiting time before benefits were paid. I havnt had any money for the last 7 weeks, what money we have is dwindleing fast.
Old 13-03-2015, 23:28   #38
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Hope it works out for you mate. Any chance of starting something up with some of your old colleagues/contacts or isn't that something you'd want to do?
Old 14-03-2015, 00:43   #39
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hope it works out for you mate. Any chance of starting something up with some of your old colleagues/contacts or isn't that something you'd want to do?
A couple of us have spoken about it before and although it would be nice to give it a shot the 50k + premesis startup is beyond our financial reach.
I do have a plan for something else but first I need a workshop at the bottom of the garden which with my redundancy I hope to build later in the year, wife permitting
Old 14-03-2015, 13:20   #40
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
A couple of us have spoken about it before and although it would be nice to give it a shot the 50k + premesis startup is beyond our financial reach.
I do have a plan for something else but first I need a workshop at the bottom of the garden which with my redundancy I hope to build later in the year, wife permitting
Maybe the first thing you need to make is something for her then.

There may be financial help available out there - might be worth asking around. Sometimes sad events like this can turn out to be life changing for the very best of reasons. You could be millionaires in a few years and look back wondering why you didn't do it earlier...

Don't forget my cut if you do make it big eh?
Old 14-03-2015, 16:02   #41
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Maybe the first thing you need to make is something for her then.

There may be financial help available out there - might be worth asking around. Sometimes sad events like this can turn out to be life changing for the very best of reasons. You could be millionaires in a few years and look back wondering why you didn't do it earlier...

Don't forget my cut if you do make it big eh?

Del boy would be proud