Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What can be wrong with my router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

What can be wrong with my router?

Old 23-02-2015, 21:38   #1
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy What can be wrong with my router?

I just upgraded to 152mb speed and when connected directly to SH1, I can hit speeds (from speedtest.net) around 150, but when using modem mode and connected to my router which is a TP-Link TL-WR841N, I can only get up to around 95, I have 2 of these and tried them both, cannot get near 100. These routers are 300mbps wirelss, is there some router setting which is not right? I appreciate your help.

On the other hand if it is really the router what router would you recommend?
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2015, 22:20   #2
Sherlock614
Inactive

Services: Virgin 200mb, Tivo, Phone
Sherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the roughSherlock614 is a jewel in the rough
Re: What can be wrong with my router?

Just did a quick check on specs:

Interface: 4 10/100Mbps LAN PORTS

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/d...TL-WR841N#spec

Your router is the bottleneck by the looks of it
Sherlock614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 23:01   #3
ultimate
cf.geek

ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, I guessed that it was. Read from a post in this forum someone is using Asus RT-N66U 900mbps and is quite happy with speeds up to 150, I followed his footsteps and bought one from Amazon.
Old 23-02-2015, 23:37   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
Thanks, I guessed that it was. Read from a post in this forum someone is using Asus RT-N66U 900mbps and is quite happy with speeds up to 150, I followed his footsteps and bought one from Amazon.
A very good Router, I recommend you get an Asus USB-N53 Adaptor (or later model) for your computer.

In the right location you'll be giggling at how fast you can download 7GB of data
Old 26-02-2015, 20:55   #5
ultimate
cf.geek

Thanks for the recommendation. The Asus router is in and from my desktop via ethernet, I can get between 145 and 155 speed according to speedtest.net and thinkbroadband. Like you say the laptop is still dragging at around 50 sitting next to the router. Few things I want to ask about the Asus USB-N53 Adaptor. My laptop uses Windows 8, does the adaptor need any software installed? Easy to install?

Thanks
Old 26-02-2015, 22:14   #6
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I had no problems with the N53 on 8.0, but when I upgraded to 8.1 I couldn't get the 5GHz to work, but found a fix after a long search on the web.

Where it was I can't remember, I'll have a look.

With regards to the N53 there will more than likely be an upgraded model that will have better 8.1 support.
Old 27-02-2015, 00:04   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. The Asus router is in and from my desktop via ethernet, I can get between 145 and 155 speed according to speedtest.net and thinkbroadband. Like you say the laptop is still dragging at around 50 sitting next to the router.
You're far better off upgrading the wireless card already in your laptop if at all possible. USB wireless adapters are almost universally inferior performing and not to mention a lot easier to break.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 17:02   #8
ultimate
cf.geek

Thanks for the suguestion Qasdfdsaq, but performing diy open heart (cover) surgery on laptops is definitely out of my league!! Perhaps I should go for a better spec laptop next time. Now I have a HP G6 Pavillion bought 2 years ago.
Old 27-02-2015, 18:43   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Thanks for the suguestion Qasdfdsaq, but performing diy open heart (cover) surgery on laptops is definitely out of my league!! Perhaps I should go for a better spec laptop next time. Now I have a HP G6 Pavillion bought 2 years ago.
Are you sure? It's literally a couple of screws. Here's a video for your exact laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqEJVSyzix8
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 20:22   #10
ultimate
cf.geek

Thanks for the info and video, it does look easy enough.
Old 27-02-2015, 21:05   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Are you sure? It's literally a couple of screws. Here's a video for your exact laptop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqEJVSyzix8
Nice, looks like one of the more serviceable ones these days. Though still not as easy as the EliteBook 820
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote