Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection drops in/drops out periodically

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connection drops in/drops out periodically

Old 24-04-2015, 14:43   #61
Rajie
Inactive

Rajie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Connection drops in/drops out periodically

For now I think I'm just going to have to leave it. The connection this week hasn't been anywhere near as bad as the previous few, so I don't know what to do other than just be happy that it's working almost normally. If the problem comes back (I'm 99.9% positive it will!) then I'll come back and post speed tests etc, but until then I'll just say thank you for your attention and help again. I'll leave the thinkbroadband monitor active just in case.
Rajie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-04-2015, 13:48   #62
Rajie
Inactive

Rajie is an unknown quantity at this point

And of course the problem returns!

Same old crap, I've downloaded a couple of youtube videos with a firefox plugin to watch offline later, speed was ok but a quarter of what it should be on a 100mb connection. After say 1.5GB of total downloads through the afternoon (not constantly downloading but over the course of a couple of hours) the connection goes squiffy. Constantly disconnecting, then 'repairing' through Windows Network & Sharing Center, it quickly reconnects ("problem is solved") and I click a website only to have it load slowly and never finish doing so (the loading symbol on the browser tab never goes away), any link I click or new tab opened causes the connection to crap out again and the whole cycle repeats.

I think we'll just leave it. If the power levels are supposedly fine, but that was what the supposed cause of the problem was in the first place, then there's nothing to be done.

I'll be looking at Sky or something and Virgin can pick up their crappy little boxes from the front garden lol! They've had enough of our money over the years for them to just ignore this and fob us off with "power levels" as a ****ing reason.
Rajie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:03   #63
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Firstly, power levels play an intricate role in determining whether or not you actually have an internet connection, as I have explained before, so they are not an excuse, they are data to be analysed and used for diagnostic purposes.

Secondly, although your power levels were out of spec previously, I don't think your connection issues are anything to do with your WAN connection to VM and is a fault between your PC and shub. Your PC and Windows cannot magically change any settings with Virgin Media's connection so when it says repairing, it isn't fixing anything which your believe to be at fault VM's end and it isn't changing any setting on the router. It is changing various network settings in Windows and hoping it will fix the issue. The fact that your PC is detecting the complete loss of your network connection to the shub (and not the internet) and the shub isn't dropping it's wan (internet) connection proves this. If you don't believe me, look at your router the next time your connection drops and you'll see.

We have already ruled out the router as the culprit because you haven got a new one so the next thing is the patch cable (which is as cheap as chips) and then the NIC in your PC.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:24   #64
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

According to your Think Broadband meter your Superhub was online just fine during this period. No drops, no loss, no response time changes.

I go along with the General, the issue is on your side of the connection now. Previously it was that the upstream power levels were too high, those are now fine.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 18:06   #65
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
According to your Think Broadband meter your Superhub was online just fine during this period. No drops, no loss, no response time changes.

I go along with the General, the issue is on your side of the connection now. Previously it was that the upstream power levels were too high, those are now fine.
Agreed.

Further indication of this above given by the fact that "Repairing" in Windows solves the issue temporarily, the Repair process in Windows basically does a DHCP renew, it cannot influence the VM connection in any way. It only repairs the local network connection to the router.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajie View Post
Constantly disconnecting, then 'repairing' through Windows Network & Sharing Center, it quickly reconnects ("problem is solved") and I click a website only to have it load slowly and never finish doing so
Now if you'd had told us this to begin with we'd have been able to figure out that the problem had nothing to do with VM all along

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post

Secondly, although your power levels were out of spec previously, I don't think your connection issues are anything to do with your WAN connection to VM and is a fault between your PC and shub. Your PC and Windows cannot magically change any settings with Virgin Media's connection so when it says repairing, it isn't fixing anything which your believe to be at fault VM's end and it isn't changing any setting on the router. It is changing various network settings in Windows and hoping it will fix the issue. The fact that your PC is detecting the complete loss of your network connection to the shub (and not the internet) and the shub isn't dropping it's wan (internet) connection proves this. If you don't believe me, look at your router the next time your connection drops and you'll see.
Dammit, you beat me to it

Guess we're even now

Either way, the symptoms point to packet loss, and there's no packet loss from the router to the internet so that suggests somethings bust with his LAN connection.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote