Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cities Skylines

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cities Skylines

Old 11-02-2015, 18:41   #1
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Cities Skylines

Aimed squarely at those naffed off with the last Sim City offering, this on the face of it looks like a fancy re-work of Sim City 4. Same concepts and functionality with more modern execution. The graphics don't exactly look fantastic mind but who cares.

http://youtu.be/aqQ0fNy0KZU

There were rumblings of this game's appearance some time ago when Sim City was released and it's finally out on 10th March. Certainly looks interesting and I hope it works.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2015, 22:02   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Cities Skylines

SimCity has got a lot better of late.

Do still find myself playing SC4 more though.

That game does look good.
Old 12-02-2015, 22:02   #3
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

I've been playing a bit of SC4 now that the NAM plugin has been sorted out for the app store version of the game so never really felt there was any incentive to buy the new Sim City. The map size was the real deal breaker.

Anyway the developers of Cities Skyline seem pretty open and engaged with the community on their forums so certainly bodes very well that they're listening to what the people really want.
Old 11-03-2015, 21:31   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Some very good reviews for this

if you attach any weight to the Metacritic meta score

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-skylines

Plus some other gaming forums heaping a lot of praise so it looks like a deffo buy for me when I have time to play.
Old 13-03-2015, 19:26   #5
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

The deed has been done. Bought it last night and played for most of the evening.

All I can say is: What a wonderful game. Just like welcoming back a long, lost friend and finding that they've changed for the better in many ways. The maps are huge: You start off with a relatively small chunk of a much larger map which in itself takes ages to fill even with low density zoning. As you progress and your city grows additional segments of the map become unlocked for purchase for further expansion. Virtually everything in the game is unlocked in stages depending on city growth.

Much of the finicky micro-management of funding from SC4 has gone which is a good thing at this point as I always found it an unwelcome distraction particularly for large cities. Also gone are the range circles for the various services so when you're growing your low density city there's no more requirement to build more than one of each service to mitigate lateral spread. You can also configure districts with a really funky painting tool and assign separate policies and ordinances for each respective district to encourage selective growth, energy saving and even a bit of sneaky social engineering... now that is pretty cool.

The only minor niggle up to now is that the road building can be a bit finicky especially if you're Romano British instincts kick in and you want to build nice, neat grid patterns. Basically it can be a bit too easy to skew roads slightly off centre without immediately noticing. Fortunately the bulldozer tool refunds the building cost of what you remove.

Considering only 9 people worked on the bulk of this game it's a pretty astounding achievement.
Old 23-03-2015, 18:16   #6
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Thoroughly enjoying this game. Although I must admit I have been playing with unlimited money turned on. My plan was 'just to get the hang of it' but I dare not take it off now as my cities will probably be millions in debt :o
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 21:24   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Spending far too much time on this game

Actually it's much easier to make money than SC4 so there's no real need to use the unlimited cash cheat.

The challenge is maintaining enough "uneducated" workers to maintain your base manufacturing and agricultural industries if you have them which means doing a bit of crafty social engineering. The biggest annoyance with the game though is having to constantly manage your landfills. Hopefully there will be a mod or patch to do this automatically for you on building incinerators.
Old 27-03-2015, 08:26   #8
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I'm really enjoying this too, a great game that swallows hours at a time
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 15:00   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
The biggest annoyance with the game though is having to constantly manage your landfills. Hopefully there will be a mod or patch to do this automatically for you on building incinerators.
Personally I just stop using landfills on building incinerators.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 19:51   #10
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Personally I just stop using landfills on building incinerators.

Might give that a go when I start a new city. I think the current one is a bit too far gone.

Don't tell the greens.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:35   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I've restarted five or six times now. Hate the map I'm on, but I've grown it too far to just give up and start again. Trying to juggle between cemeteries and activating/deactivating crematoriums to try and lower my healthcare costs, which are astronomical...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 18:06   #12
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Back into playing this since the last updates. Having some problems with hydroelectric dams though as they seem to have changed the water physics unless I'm imagining things.

Save game before building one!