Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow internet in Gtr Manchester (Oldham)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow internet in Gtr Manchester (Oldham)

Old 27-01-2015, 19:41   #1
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road
Slow internet in Gtr Manchester (Oldham)

Anybody having any issues with their internet in Greater Manchester area, especially Oldham. It was down earlier and now crawling at under 1mbps.
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2015, 21:48   #2
Begize
Inactive

Services: XL TV (TiVo 1TB & V HD), XL Broadband (Superhub 2 in modem mode), L Telephone
Begize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the roughBegize is a jewel in the rough
Re: Slow internet in Gtr Manchester (Oldham)

I'm in Stockport and mine has been slow since last late last night. Restarted everything several times and now it's back to being a useable 14Mbps, which is not unknown for peak times.
Begize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 22:27   #3
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

mmm.. I'll probably sit and wait it out. There's problems with the TV services in the status page for my area but for broadband it says 'Good service' with no known issues. Logging into my virgin media and checking status takes an age aswell.
Old 28-01-2015, 17:49   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I think there was an issue with your area just before xmas where a router went down and the normal route/path the traffic would take for you area went down and the re-routed traffic went over another link for a different area which basically translated to double the amount of traffic which is why it was slow for a week or so while they sorted it out. There might be a similar issue now but you wouldn't know unless you did some trace routes.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 19:26   #5
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

I was okay earlier on today I got this;

but now in the evening rush-hour so to speak it's crawling again...

I had this a few month ago last year, that's when YouTube was chronically slow aswell, then for about the last 6-9 months it's been superfast. Can they be doing utilisation tests in the area that wouldn't normally show up on the faults status page, but would have an adverse effect on your broadband speed at a local level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
There might be a similar issue now but you wouldn't know unless you did some trace routes.
Do you know how I go about doing this? Cheers.
Old 28-01-2015, 20:38   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Have a look at this thread. I was actually searching for another one where I did a step by step guide for somebody last year with multiple screen dumps but that thread shows a similar thing plus is illustrates your issue quite nicely. The point I was going to make is that you wouldn't necessarily know something was wrong now if you hadn't done a trace route previously because you wouldn't realise your traffic is going on a different route. The thread I linked to is on a different topic but you can see that my traffic is taking different routes though. If you do one now for the fun of it (to somewhere generic like bbc.co.uk) you might notice a difference when your connection returns to normal (it will be in the 3rd or 4th hop). Click on start and type "cmd" to open a command prompt and then type "tracert websiteaddress"

I think I was thinking about this thread but it is more about pings.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote