Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV's are getting bigger: How big is yours?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV's are getting bigger: How big is yours?
View Poll Results: How large is your primary TV set?
Below 30" 3 5.26%
30" to 35" 9 15.79%
36" to 40" 16 28.07%
41" to 45" 15 26.32%
46" or over. 14 24.56%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-01-2015, 15:59   #31
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TV's are getting bigger: How big is yours?

40" LCD Sony here which is fine for my current living room.
Old 27-01-2015, 17:58   #32
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post
CRTs were awesome and they kept you warm during the winter... they should have given these out to OAPs to reduce their bills, so they could survive the winter.
My LCD monitor(s) still generate enough heat that I have to open my windows during the winter, even with the heating off and -5'c outside.

Electric heating using a monitor (CRT or otherwise) would only increase your bill, not reduce it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 02:03   #33
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I remember having to carry a 21inch Iiyama monitor up four flights of stairs because the manager in the building thought that ONLY disabled users should be able to use the lift, and actually, had the lift call buttons replaced with switches that require a special key, and instructed her staff to give the key ONLY to disabled students.

The irritating part is that we'd actually bought the monitor to *help* a partially sighted (ie disabled) student.

I had a helper, and we are both big, strong men. We were still knackered, and wanted a drink when we finished. Which, of course meant going back down the the ground floor because we weren't allowed any drink making facilities (kettle, fridge, running water).
Seriously wow.

People have no compassion these days :\

---------- Post added at 02:03 ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
My LCD monitor(s) still generate enough heat that I have to open my windows during the winter, even with the heating off and -5'c outside.

Electric heating using a monitor (CRT or otherwise) would only increase your bill, not reduce it.
Yeah I know it was a bit of satire to emphasise that they ran pretty damn hot :P
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 10:23   #34
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Seriously wow.

People have no compassion these days :\[COLOR="Silver"]
On the plus side, I didn't need to go to the gym that night.

We have several buildings on that campus, and thankfully the rules are a little less restrictive in the other buildings. They don't ban non disabled users of the lifts, but they do ask that disabled users are given priority, which is fair.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 00:37   #35
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yeah I know it was a bit of satire to emphasise that they ran pretty damn hot :P
Heh, yeah, but I have actually thought about it seriously a few times.

If you had non-storage electric heating then the net effect would be negligible, any other heating method involving a thermostat would cost more using the CRTs
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 09:09   #36
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

32 here,any bigger and it will get knocked over.
Old 29-01-2015, 09:24   #37
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Biggest TV I ever had was a 32 inch SONY CRT, that sucker was HUGE & heavy, wow was it ever heavy.

Current living room TV is a 50 inch Smart LED, much bigger would be too big, if wall mounted could prob go to to 60 or so.
Modern TV's have a lot thinner bezels so you can get a bigger screen for not much increased footprint.
Noticeable in bigger screens is how crap a lot of TV programs look, in SD with artefacts & blurring, you don't tend to notice so much on smaller screens.
Bedrooms a 37 inch, which fits nice, could go to a 44, but that'll wait until this one breaks. Kids rooms/dining room have 32 inches which fit well.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:17   #38
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

26" crt -i went shopping at asda and of all the tv's in the shop this one showed the best picture so i bought it btw it was their last crt - i have a 20" flat thingy in my bedroom [tv] i suppose when the crt dies i will have to get a wafer thin modern jobbie , but what will the cat sit on ?
Old 01-02-2015, 18:25   #39
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have a 46" Plasma in my front room.

The biggest CRT I ever had was a 32", and boy was that heavy.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02   #40
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I have a 32" LG 1080p in the living room i got in Boxing day Sales in 2009 with £150 off.

In my and my sons bedroom we both have the same cheapo 32" Tesco own brand which is just 720p but picture is good enough for the bedroom.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:51   #41
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Most CRT TV's I see these days are in front gardens waiting to be taken to the tip.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 13:17   #42
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Most CRT TV's I see these days are in front gardens waiting to be taken to the tip.
Probably with nothing wrong with them.