Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New video card or not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

New video card or not?

Old 25-01-2015, 19:55   #1
Smilie
Inactive

Smilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of light
New video card or not?

Hi guys

don't know if you guys remember or not
but a few months back i was deciding to RMA my Asus 7970Ghz or not
in the end i RMAed it in NOV

thing is it was damaged in shipping to retailer (Scan)
even with the amount of bubble wrap i used
looks only cosmetically damaged from photos
but cause of that
retailer won't do any testing
but they gave me the option of sending to manufacturer and see if they accept it and test it

well be over 2 months now and been chasing Scan a few times
who in turn said will chase the supplier
but they ain't getting any update either
worst thing is even though the usual time frame is 4-6weeks
there's no actual deadline for the supplier to get it done

gotten to the point of thinking of just go and get a GTX970
on Monday if i get no update by then

but been reading some memory problems with them
which might or might not be that serious

so now in a bit of a dilemma

should i go and get a GTX 970?
get a AMD 290X (i have 600W PSU is it ok?)
wait for the RMA and/or next AMD card release(read its be released in march?)

what do you guys think?
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2015, 20:53   #2
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: New video card or not?

I would hold off on the 970 - looks like they are all getting recalled due to a memory issue!

http://www.techpowerup.com/209205/ge...gb-report.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8931/n...ory-allocation
Old 26-01-2015, 00:41   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
Hi guys

but cause of that
but they gave me the option of sending to manufacturer and see if they accept it and test it

what do you guys think?
Depends what you intend to do about the 7970.

Did you take insurance out during shipping? Either way, the retailer's legally obliged to replace or repair the item in a reasonable amount of time (usually considered 30 days or less) and some explicitly state this in their T&Cs. It is irrelevant what their supplier does or thinks.

In the end it depends if you want something now or to wait. There's nothing wrong with buying a GTX 970 now, and unless you want to game at 4K there's no real benefit to a 290X.

---------- Post added at 23:41 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
I would hold off on the 970 - looks like they are all getting recalled due to a memory issue!

The 'issue' according to NVidia is not an 'issue'.

I've heard nothing about a recall. I see no reason why they would recall a working product.

The GTX970 was deliberately designed to work that way and it works fine as far as anyone can tell. It is not the first card to be designed to work that way and previous cards with the same design have never been recalled.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 05:45   #4
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan:35755168

Interesting, although I haven't checked for vram usage I don't perceive any issues, certainly haven't seen any micro stutters.

Also neither of the links actually state that cards will be recalled, nvidia are still looking into it and could quite well be addressed with an ota firmware upgrade,

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie:35755164
Hi guys

but cause of that

what do you guys think?
You get a lot of card for the money, IMO get the 970 and get a full refund from your retailer.
Had my 970 jetstream since release month without issue, even the dreaded coil whine which blights some brands isn't evident on my card and which was my biggest concern when buying the 970 and a question I asked the retailer about and what their stance was should the card I buy have coil whine.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 15:27   #5
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Like what someone has said, they are obligated to repair or replace your card.

Throw in Trading Standards into the conversation with them and your rights as a consumer, and they will gladly probably replace it.

Shocking when they do this, I have had dealings with Scan before, and they go back on their word a lot, stopped shopping with them because of that.

I use Overclockers now, prices are just a bit more in some hardware but I know they aren't as crap with customers.

A 970 is a nice card, nothing like hardware CUDA and Physx to take away the work from the CPU in terms of effects in game. Plus its actually power efficient also.

But yeah definitely give hell to Scan.

And in the future if you ever have to return something back, always photograph it with a date, before sending it.. that way they can't squirm out of it.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 15:36   #6
Smilie
Inactive

Smilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of lightSmilie is a glorious beacon of light

well Scan said my packaging wasn't good enough
so insurance won't cover it (used their supplied courier)
then Scan had me sign a warranty disclaimer before sending card to supplier
to see if supplier are willing to do anything
just had a read again
and realize it says there's no guaranteed time frame

so been waiting for 2months now
not knowing what i will get back
the faulty 7970
a repaired/replacement card
or credit back
waiting in line with live chat right now, might call them if there no response soon

I'll be happy just to get a working 7970ghz or 280X
as its fast enough in 1920x1200 anyway

I was thinking the Vram issue with 970 shouldn't be that bad either
but people in some forums are making a big fuss about it
a bit skeptical about those post though
Old 26-01-2015, 15:39   #7
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post

Throw in Trading Standards into the conversation with them and your rights as a consumer, and they will gladly probably replace it.

Shocking when they do this, I have had dealings with Scan before, and they go back on their word a lot, stopped shopping with them because of that.

I use Overclockers now, prices are just a bit more in some hardware but I know they aren't as crap with customers.

A 970 is a nice card, nothing like hardware CUDA and Physx to take away the work from the CPU in terms of effects in game. Plus its actually power efficient also.

But yeah definitely give hell to Scan.

And in the future if you ever have to return something back, always photograph it with a date, before sending it.. that way they can't squirm out of it.
I agree with most part but I wouldn't recommend Overclockers to anyone as they will ban you from shopping with them, for returning faulty items to them for a replacement, they will then claim they are not faulty all the time even when you have a replacement notice from the manufacturer.

I have never had issues with Scan, but if something was damaged in Transit to them then that is not there issue to deal with, it then needs to be taken up with the delivery company for damaging goods whilst in there care, that is now unable to be exchanged under warranty, as it shows signs of damage from mishandling.

The manufacturer shouldn't even deal with, it should be the delivery company paying out for the replacement of the part.

As for what card to replace it with, the 970 is a cracking card and Nvidia have now said the Memory issue is no where near what people are claiming but, they have admitted as to why there is a small decrease in performance.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...gtx-970-flaw/1

Dependent on how long you can wait for a replacement card, I would wait till around April time as that is when AMD are apparently releasing there new cards then, and that will cause Nvidia to release refreshes of cards or drop the price of the current ones.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:00   #8
Smilie
Inactive

Well just got off phone with scan
and talked to Amanda
says I should be getting a replacement card
but they have to take off a third of the price i paid
as i RMAed it after a year (I should of RMAed it earlier)
looking at their stock to see what equivalent card they can get me
should be around £150 price range
and will update me in 24-48 hours at most

just want to say
been calling Scan quite a few times lately (about other problems as well)
and the times Amanda answered my call
she has always been very helpful
Old 26-01-2015, 17:07   #9
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

There is always good CSRs on the phones, the ones who know happy customers = returning customers.

Newer CSRs just are there to earn a wage and go home. Sad days :\

At least it is something, a 960 is about the £150 mark, just a few pounds over. Will they allow you to foot the rest of the bill for a 970?
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:32   #10
Smilie
Inactive

asked if I'm allowed to pay extra for a upgrade
said its not allowed

well if they give me a video card with a 280x or 960 (around the performance of my 7970Ghz)
I would be happy enough

I could hold off getting a new video card
and see how the next AMD performs
before upgrading (if i do need to upgrade)

just hope they don't give me a lower performing card
might need to argue with them then
Old 26-01-2015, 18:25   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post

Yeah, it's a shame as I used to think of Scan as a company with pretty decent service. Unfortunately nowadays that seems to stop as soon as your item actually arrives. Thankfully launching a court claim against them is quite cheap and easy these days thanks to the on-line process.

Quote:
Indeed. Also ironic, as Overclockers used to be pretty ***** but are now pretty good. Unfortunately they still sometimes have issues delivering on time.

Quote:
To be fair, to relate to all the claims going around the internet of the GTX 970/980 series' "efficiency", it's pretty much all down to a few aggressive optimisations - the underlying hardware isn't actually more efficient. When you run it at absolute maximum load, it uses equal or more power than competing hardware or previous generation cards, it's just a lot cleverer at shutting stuff off when you're not using it.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
I agree with most part but I wouldn't recommend Overclockers to anyone as they will ban you from shopping with them, for returning faulty items to them for a replacement, they will then claim they are not faulty all the time even when you have a replacement notice from the manufacturer.
Well considering you've previously admitted breaking more motherboards in a month than I have in my entire lifetime, it's no surprise they turn their nose up at your return habits...

... For more ordinary customers though who don't return 50 'faulty' products a year ...

Quote:
I have never had issues with Scan, but if something was damaged in Transit to them then that is not there issue to deal with, it then needs to be taken up with the delivery company for damaging goods whilst in there care, that is now unable to be exchanged under warranty, as it shows signs of damage from mishandling.
That is entirely incorrect. The transit is their responsibility so damaged in in transit is 100% their issue to deal with, contractually, and legally. If they are shirking this responsibility they are in breach of contract. The only exception is if they can prove negligence on the part of the customer.

Quote:
As for what card to replace it with, the 970 is a cracking card and Nvidia have now said the Memory issue is no where near what people are claiming but, they have admitted as to why there is a small decrease in performance.
It's less than small, 1-3% is within measurement error.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
well Scan said my packaging wasn't good enough
so insurance won't cover it (used their supplied courier)
That might be reasonable but unless you grossly underpacked it it's not an excuse.

Within 6 months of purchase the retailer is legally obliged to prove that the fault was entirely yours. Them claiming it was damaged in transit (have they actually shown any proof to you? How exactly did you package the item?) doesn't prove it wasn't fault before being placed in transit. Furthermore, IIRC it's the retailers responsibility to get the item back from you, so anything that happens to it after it leaves your house is their problem [Not 100% sure if this applies to SOGA or just CCR]

Quote:
then Scan had me sign a warranty disclaimer before sending card to supplier
to see if supplier are willing to do anything
What exactly did you sign?

Some statutory rights you can sign away, some you can't.

Quote:
I was thinking the Vram issue with 970 shouldn't be that bad either
but people in some forums are making a big fuss about it
a bit skeptical about those post though
The 970 has been out for nearly 5 months now, and this is the first anybody's mentioned it, nobody had been whining about the performance before this synthetic issue came up. So go figure.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...eplacement.htm
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote