Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Installing a HDD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Installing a HDD

Old 25-01-2015, 14:33   #1
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100
Installing a HDD

I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop which has just about had it, screen gone bad etc so I want to take out the HDD and put it in my desktop pc that I built myself so that part is easy.

Now I am aware that once fitted when I boot from that drive it will see different chipset etc and Windows might need reactivating but this could be where I am snookered as like with all PC's there is no Windows disc so that means I have no activation key which I assume is on the HDD somewhere.

Is it easier that I am anticipating or what??
Old 25-01-2015, 14:58   #2
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter
Re: Installing a HDD

you can't just swap your laptop hard disk with desktop hard disk.
if you do. you have to format your hard drive then it can be used.

ask someone for windows 8.1 from gumtree, for a cheap price. or Ebay.
or get it free from the internet.
am not sure if am allowed to tell you or i might get banned from the forum.
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 14:59   #3
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

give this a try before you remove the drive. https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 15:32   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Worth looking to see if the HDD has the windows\i386 folder. It's not needed from 7 onwards but someone might have been kind and made it. Probably hidden. It's an image of the install disc(s).
Old 25-01-2015, 19:01   #5
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Boot up the laptop with an external monitor and use something like Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 21:26   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Is it just to get data off it? If so then this is useful. I have one.

SATA to USB connector,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-3-5-SA.../261487588216?

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 23:48   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
I have Windows 8.1 on my laptop which has just about had it, screen gone bad etc so I want to take out the HDD and put it in my desktop pc that I built myself so that part is easy.

Now I am aware that once fitted when I boot from that drive it will see different chipset etc and Windows might need reactivating but this could be where I am snookered as like with all PC's there is no Windows disc so that means I have no activation key which I assume is on the HDD somewhere.

Is it easier that I am anticipating or what??
No harm in just taking it out of your laptop and putting it in your desktop to try it. Works most of the time in my experience.

There is no issue with reactivation. Reactivation does not require a disk or activation key.

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post
you can't just swap your laptop hard disk with desktop hard disk.
if you do. you have to format your hard drive then it can be used.
Wrong. You can, and it almost always works fine as long as you stay with Intel <=> Intel or AMD <=> AMD.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 14:32   #8
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have the Windows Key on the bottom of your laptop? Even brand name Laptops/Desktops come with your own unique key and is stuck on somewhere.

If you do, goto microsoft's site and download an ISO of that version of windows 8, You will know what version it is because the sticker with the key will tell you which version it is.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:13   #9
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Windows 8 seems to be licenced differently to windows 7 and earlier stuff. Frequently the OEM Win 8 doesn't have the cert. Instead due to the UEFI install process it is somehow being integrated to the hardware of the PC.

In simple terms if your lappy had an OEM windows (OEM versions are licenced to the original installed computer and not supposed to be transferable) rather than a retail version, you might well not be able to reactivate it on another PC.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 17:17   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
In simple terms if your lappy had an OEM windows (OEM versions are licenced to the original installed computer and not supposed to be transferable) rather than a retail version, you might well not be able to reactivate it on another PC.
This is true. Though if it does run, it will do so without needing a disk, and if it can reactivate, it will do so without a key.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 19:37   #11
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Usually you can get away with it by using the phone option with no network available to do it over the net.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote