Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using Asus RT-N66U with Superhub 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Using Asus RT-N66U with Superhub 2

Old 24-12-2014, 11:54   #16
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Using Asus RT-N66U with Superhub 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
Only reason I want QoS is because lots of us use Netflix/YouTube and when running torrents, these seem to suffer so the full 1080p stream doesn't come through. Everything else generally works fine

P.S. Thank you guys for all your help so far
Well the Merlin-WRT QoS bit looks pretty easy to work with, can't remember if its the same as the stock Asus-WRT as not had it on the router since I got it
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2015, 16:19   #17
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddock08 View Post
Bit the bullet and just purchased an RT-N66U. I currently have a Superhub2AC which to be fair is generally quite good, no dropouts etc. However, we've just bought 2 new WDTV Live's so a lot of data is going to start being moved over the network from our NAS (which the SUperhub has dealt with up till now). Also, I have 4 home plugs due to bad speed/range but these aren't much better, hoping the RT-N66U will do a better job.

Anyone have any experience of the RT-N66U? Seems to get good reviews!
I can recommend the NT66U I also use 4 home plugs with the device. I would highly recommend you check out the Zykel 1200mb plugs. I had the 600mb plugs and got around 120mb / on the 1200mb plugs I get around 200mb so I at least know I can upgrade to 152mb and will get the full speed through homeplugs! Hope this helps.
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 19:54   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have that router, using only Asus updates, I have hit 11 meg over wifi on my 152meg connection
Old 03-01-2015, 18:12   #19
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I have that router, using only Asus updates, I have hit 11 meg over wifi on my 152meg connection
That should be I hit 161meg over wifi, must have been still hung over.
Old 03-01-2015, 21:55   #20
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
That should be I hit 161meg over wifi, must have been still hung over.
That's good going. I get 12/160 via Wifi from the Asus but only in the same room.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 17:06   #21
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Tomato vs merlin/asus?

My 5 pennies worth.

Tomato better and more responsive interface.
Tomato better traffic monitor. Much better.
Tomato more features and more configuration options.
Tomato however far too many options require either a network restart or router reboot.
Tomato doesnt have as good ipv6 compliance.
ASUS/Merlin more stable
ASUS/Merlin better ipv6 compliance.

I suspect ASUS/Merlin is probably less security vulns, but with that said no attackers will target tomato as it has a much lower userbase.

I think both Merlin and tomato are good firmwares. On VM given ip's are sticky, and they dont use ipv6, then tomato is a viable choice.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 21:54   #22
rounz
Inactive

rounz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I suspect ASUS/Merlin is probably less security vulns, but with that said no attackers will target tomato as it has a much lower userbase.
i suspect you know nothing about 'attackers' and to assume that tomato has a lower userbase considering the amount of devices it accommodates would make it a non-target is a falsehood.

merlin can do HW acceleration, other firmware cannot. tomato is only worth consideration if you don't require it.

one security feature tomato does provide (via not providing it) is that there isn't any WPS service running. but that can be toggled on asus based firmware. someone gets WPS registrar control = bad news.
rounz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 21:57   #23
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I know enough that they will generally go for the biggest target, there is no way tomato has a higher userbase than asuswrt.

HW acceleration is more marketing than usefulness, e.g. you want traffic monitoring or QoS? has to be disabled and the asus routers can handle UK broadband speeds without it. Also I am fairly sure tomato supports HW acceleration as well but its labeled differently.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 22:15   #24
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounz View Post
i suspect you know nothing about 'attackers' and to assume that tomato has a lower userbase considering the amount of devices it accommodates would make it a non-target is a falsehood.
Tell that to the folk who have been bragging that "Macs don't get viruses" for the last three decades...

---------- Post added at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I know enough that they will generally go for the biggest target, there is no way tomato has a higher userbase than asuswrt.
Being pretty much all based on Linux they're more likely to fall for exploits of the common components, e.g. the shell, webserver, SSH daemon, and so on. But routers are still a niche target any way you think about it.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 19:23   #25
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
That's good going. I get 12/160 via Wifi from the Asus but only in the same room.
Mine is effectively line of sight through a wood floor.