Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wire split Between Houses

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Wire split Between Houses

Old 20-12-2014, 08:18   #1
loudawg
Inactive

loudawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Wire split Between Houses

This is not an install issue as such but feel it could be related to a string of issues that have came up in the past 6 months after having a perfect service for a year and a half.

I live in a black of flats, on each level a small box exists with the vm coaxial cable running to each home. The box was burst open when I moved in and I clearly saw numbered points for every home, some already hooked up and some not, but the cabling was there for every home and some of it very old.

Anyway, one day next door decide to get virgin installed and my services went off. The guy just decided to cut the cable right above my door, shuv a splitter on it and run a cable to next door. Next doors cables were very old.

My TV was jumping all over the place that night next doors got installed so I went up stair, removed their connection, rebooted box and all good. But now my telly just seems to act up randomly and atleast once a month I have been on the phone about my broadband.

I am no expert here and have very little knowledge to how it should work but does this sound like it was done correctly?
loudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2014, 11:53   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Wire split Between Houses

You removed someone else's connection?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 17:17   #3
loudawg
Inactive

loudawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I removed someone else's connection that is feeding off mine as it was causing me problems. Even told CS this and was credited as my services should never be affected when a new user is connected. But that was CS and not networking so never said if setup was wrong.
loudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 00:24   #4
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Sounds like another contractor bodge-up. Piggy backing of connections is allowed in certain situations, but the signal levels going to both properties should always be checked to ensure this causes no issues.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote