Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Very odd installation problem (They ducted entire road but dont want to cable it)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Very odd installation problem (They ducted entire road but dont want to cable it)

Old 16-12-2014, 01:37   #1
nickjones87
Inactive

nickjones87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Very odd installation problem (They ducted entire road but dont want to cable it)

Called VM business to get fibre broadband (coaxial) after following 300 metres of VM green ducting, cabinet & pulling chambers going right to the end of our dead end road where we are based.

They initially said no - address not on database, but after telling them the above they sent a surveyor who said YES! No problem at all. They also told me the address is not on one database but is on another

Waited 6 weeks for god knows what, and was eventually told the cabinet is not serviced so no chance apparently.

My road is a dead end, with a cabinet half way down the road.

There are about 20 small industrial units on my road, and Telewest must have paid a few grand to dig up the entire road end to end (300 metres), lay cabinets, metal pulling chambers (in middle of road) and drops to every unit, but they decided they couldn't be arsed sparing a few more quid and put the equipment in??

I decided to do a bit of detective work and opened a pulling chamber outside my property that also served my drop and I found 5 of those double coax/telephone cables running straight through it going towards the dead end so I followed the duct to my kitchen fitter neighbours yard which is private property and you can see they have dug a channel in the yard going to his warehouse.

I also opened the chamber next to the cabinet and found tons of cables going in to the cabinet - one of which was thick and bright orange? Plus 5 going in the direction of the chamber I mentioned above
I also opened some drop points and they all had green pipes sticking out of them.

I just don't get it, how can my neighbour get it and I can't despite those cables going past my drop ? Does anybody have any idea's?

On a side note, those 5 cables only go to 1 warehouse and I'm not too friendly with them so I don't want to ask. Interestingly, why would a kitchen fitter have 5 drop cables going in to their warehouse anyway... I don't know..

We have 8 people employee's sharing 3MB ADSL and everything is in the cloud and it's rather sloooow! Infinity is not on the books either.

Cheers!
nickjones87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-12-2014, 01:18   #2
Andrewquinn1987
Inactive

Andrewquinn1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Very odd installation problem (They ducted entire road but dont want to cable it)

Are you in between the kitchen company and the cabinet? If so this is just a mess up.

Upload pictures if you can?? So we can see...

Email cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk -- explain what you have above and include the pictures.
Andrewquinn1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 05:43   #3
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Very odd installation problem (They ducted entire road but dont want to cable it)

might be serve for telco only, also if you're 300m to the cab that will be too far to get coax bb.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2014, 08:11   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Yep, 300m away from the cab is too far for broadband to be serviceable.

It will be telco only at that distance.
Old 17-12-2014, 09:41   #5
nickjones87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewquinn1987 View Post
Are you in between the kitchen company and the cabinet? If so this is just a mess up.

Upload pictures if you can?? So we can see...

Email cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk -- explain what you have above and include the pictures.
Yes, I'm in between the cab and the kitchen fitters. I have emailed them before but I never get a response? Is there a special or local department I can speak to who are actually keen on getting me to take BB with VM? Everyone I've spoken to has been very 'computer says no' sorry nothing else we can do.

I just checked and my unit is now on the Business postcode checker!
Would love 125mb broadband for £60/month

I should clarify, I'm less than 300m from the cabinet itself.
The engineer who did the initial survey said we are just within reach from the cabinet.
(What is the max distance out of interest?)
Old 17-12-2014, 10:03   #6
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Sometimes 100m can be too far.

In the past I had business BB installs fail for that,

Used to work provisioning in VMB.
Old 17-12-2014, 21:00   #7
nickjones87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sometimes 100m can be too far.

In the past I had business BB installs fail for that,

Used to work provisioning in VMB.
Stephen, who are the right people to speak to in VMB?
I'm even OK with paying up to a £1kto cover costs as long as I can get a faster line in.
Old 20-12-2014, 23:29   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Some franchises were built with powered line extenders in the underground chambers, so just because there is a lack of surface cabinets does not mean these supposed longer runs are not serviceable.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2014, 08:40   #9
nickjones87
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Some franchises were built with powered line extenders in the underground chambers, so just because there is a lack of surface cabinets does not mean these supposed longer runs are not serviceable.
Never knew that... Do you know what orange cables are in those chambers? I have always associated orange with fibre optics with fibre.

UPDATE: VM business are not returning my calls
Old 24-12-2014, 03:36   #10
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

If the cabinet has an orange cable going into it and 5 double or twin cables coming out then it sounds like a node? Which is fed by the fibre cable and feeds properties with the twin cable.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote