Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 200Mbit coming soon? (According to a survey)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

200Mbit coming soon? (According to a survey)

Old 24-06-2015, 16:23   #526
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: 200Mbit coming soon? (According to a survey)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
But that just brings us back to driving customers to cancel their contracts, disconnect, and sign up again as a new customer. Which is more hassle, more work, and more costs for everybody, including VM.
Simple solution: Don't offer services to new customers that you don't offer to existing customers. By all means offer cheaper enticement deals, if you think anyone is fooled by that, but please show some loyalty to loyal customers.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2015, 16:48   #527
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Simple solution: Don't offer services to new customers that you don't offer to existing customers. By all means offer cheaper enticement deals, if you think anyone is fooled by that, but please show some loyalty to loyal customers.
I challenge this notion of loyalty, Roughie.

VM charge for their services and try to maintain the income for the same basic reason as "loyal customers" want the cheapest price; money retention.

If you could get a faster service for the same price from someone else, why wouldn't you do it?

I suppose there might be customers who can get a cheaper service for a lower price but can't be arsed. They're not loyal - they just can't be arsed.

Hope you don't mind that analysis!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 18:17   #528
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I challenge this notion of loyalty, Roughie.

VM charge for their services and try to maintain the income for the same basic reason as "loyal customers" want the cheapest price; money retention.

If you could get a faster service for the same price from someone else, why wouldn't you do it?

I suppose there might be customers who can get a cheaper service for a lower price but can't be arsed. They're not loyal - they just can't be arsed.

Hope you don't mind that analysis!
Don't mind at all. We differ on this as you probably surmised from earlier exchanges on the subject.

Call me old-fashioned, but when someone has been with a company since the year zero, that means something regardless of the service offered. This hasn't been inertia on my part, but a feeling, backed up by experience, that VM, despite its faults, is the best ISP in my area. This is partly emotive and is focused on the brand too. I remain tempted by BT's 80/20 non-contended service, particularly the upspeed, but hopes of something better have kept me hanging on to VM.

VM has changed in it's attitude since the early days. Up until 5 years ago I received a number of unrequested TV upgrades, including all the sports channels, purely because I had subscribed to the full multi-platform thingy for over a year. That is rewarding my loyalty/sustained investment. Recently attitudes have changed. Long-standing customers get left to last when it comes to upgrades, or at least that is what it feels like.

Really, there is no commercial advantage to offering upgrades like 152Mb, 200Mb, 300Mb to existing customers last, is there? New customers can still be enticed with discounted months. Roll outs can be managed on a regional basis, surely, if overloading admin and engineers is an issue!
Old 24-06-2015, 20:26   #529
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I remain tempted by BT's 80/20 non-contended service, particularly the upspeed, but hopes of something better have kept me hanging on to VM.
If it's the upload speed that interests you so much you may find yourself hanging on for a while.

BT's service isn't uncontended though. People can and do see quite severe slowdowns.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 20:33   #530
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Ooh, Edinburgh and Aberdeen both listed.

None of the actual links go anywhere useful though :-/
There digging up at fountainpark towards cowgate
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 10:23   #531
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
BT's service isn't uncontended though. People can and do see quite severe slowdowns.
That said, the upstream on Openreach is practically uncontended.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
There digging up at fountainpark towards cowgate
Now all I need is to buy up one of the many empty office buildings around there and move in
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 21:31   #532
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
That said, the upstream on Openreach is practically uncontended.
I'm not talking about the Openreach network. There is precisely zero visible contention on the Openreach GEA network.
Old 28-06-2015, 09:37   #533
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I'm not talking about the Openreach network. There is precisely zero visible contention on the Openreach GEA network.
So, at what stage is the contention? There's no contention at street level because of individualised line from the box, so the only reduction in the headline service comes from crosstalk etc. You must be talking about the exchange to street box section.
Old 28-06-2015, 14:40   #534
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I said visible contention.

I also mentioned only the Openreach GEA network. Awful lot between the edge of that network in the exchange handovers and punters
Old 29-06-2015, 09:58   #535
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
You must be talking about the exchange to street box section.
That is the Openreach GEA section. Where there's practically zero actual contention on the upstream, visible or otherwise
Old 29-06-2015, 16:27   #536
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
That is the Openreach GEA section. Where there's practically zero actual contention on the upstream, visible or otherwise
With the current tiers it is actually zero. There's enough backhaul from each cabinet for every single customer to max out their upload simultaneously.
Old 29-06-2015, 18:03   #537
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

That was my point Their service target results in them having that much capacity but it's not an ironclad guarantee.
Old 30-06-2015, 05:22   #538
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

virgin media not heard the phrase "learn to walk before you run"?

They cannot even supply their existing service yet, and want to do marketing speed upgrades.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote