Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows 8.1 mail app question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows 8.1 mail app question

Old 27-11-2014, 17:25   #1
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Windows 8.1 mail app question

Is it really impossible to get this app to store sent items on the IMAP server rather than locally? I've googled extensively and searched through the account settings, but I can't find any way to set it up like this.

Maildroid on Android will do this.

I don't really want to set up Outlook on my Surface Pro.
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2014, 22:11   #2
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Re: Windows 8.1 mail app question

What about Thunderbird?
Old 27-11-2014, 23:00   #3
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

I've just set up a new PC with Win 8.1, didn't like the look of the Win 8.1 Mail App so I've used Windows Live Mail, does everything I need it to do.
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 03:57   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
I've just set up a new PC with Win 8.1, didn't like the look of the Win 8.1 Mail App so I've used Windows Live Mail, does everything I need it to do.

Same here.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 04:48   #5
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Sorry guys, these don't answer the question. I don't want an additional program/app. Can the Windows 8.1 mail app be made to do this?
Old 02-12-2014, 22:10   #6
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Well, I have an answer from an MVP. The app doesn't even store locally, just caches. No way to make it propagate sent items to the IMAP server.
Quote:
The mail app doesn't store anything, just a cache for temporary offline/network outages. It only reads what is on the IMAP or EAS server and displays the results of what it finds.
If your IMAP server doesn't save copies of the outgoing messages in the "sent" folder on the server, it is going to be a server setting you can change. The mail client itself has no folder options like a fuller featured email program (like Essentials Mail or Outlook) would have. You might like those better.