Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | lost an email function and unable to sign in to my account

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

lost an email function and unable to sign in to my account

Old 22-11-2014, 14:55   #1
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
lost an email function and unable to sign in to my account

Hi folks it's me again, two problems for you today guys - maybe related but I don't know

1) Wife has 2 email addresses on her laptop, suddenly the second one will send but not receive, nothing altered at my end (thunderbird). It sits for about 2 minutes searching for mail then gives up - error message says "server responded with: " and that's it ?

fixed - when first set up (months ago) the address in question would not work with secure password set . . . now it seems that it needs to be set

2) Tried to access my account to verify the email account (and other things) but unable to do so. I can access the web mail for MY email but that doesn't help me at all. On one of the various pages that asks for sign in I notice that the "sign in" part has a red lock next to it ?

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

edit

So I've been looking around and it seems that because I'm an NTL customer, my ability to log in to my account has been severely restricted.

I have online billing - but now cannot check it

I am unable to edit, remove or create Email addresses

I use the log in details that have been assigned to me from the day I joined, the same details as are used by Virgin Media when working out how much I owe them each month.

I have no interest whatsoever in creating a google account, gmail, chrome or any of the other crap that is constantly thrown in my direction.

If I am now unable to access my account are VM in breach of service ?

Does anyone out there have a working answer on how to access my account (not emails) using my NTL details?

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

further edit fixed

apparently the browser I use has disabled support of SSL 3.0 due to security issues

if a webpage I visit still uses the SSL 3.0 protocol it will not allow the page to load

I have now altered my browser config files to allow the use of SSL 3.0 and can log on to my account

I am not a security expert, and have no inclination to start arguments about what is or isn't secure, however, rightly or wrongly this fix has worked for me and may be of benefit to others who may have the same issue in the future

it is possible that this SSL 3.0 situation is complete garbage, maybe someone with better credentials could follow it up?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement