Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Amount stated in contract

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Billing Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Amount stated in contract

Old 02-02-2015, 21:31   #31
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Amount stated in contract

Show me that is not the case in courts. Surely if you have said that you must have proof of this?
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2015, 21:37   #32
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I think the proof is the other way around i.e. you'd have to win a case that proves a contract is unfair.

So I assume you have a court case that proves that?

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:34 ----------

Remember that OFCOM didn't stop price changes completely - just said those that weren't already known about that didn't then allow a no-penalty exit shouldn't continue.

So the principle of a no-exit penalty if there is a price change that wasn't defined at the start of the contract is fair in OFCOMs view.
Old 03-02-2015, 19:41   #33
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

It's in a PDF from the very peeps themselves - http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/...cts_issues.pdf
Old 03-02-2015, 22:23   #34
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABhand View Post
It's in a PDF from the very peeps themselves - http://lawcommission.justice.gov.uk/...cts_issues.pdf
It is indeed:

Quote:
This is not to suggest that all price escalation clauses, default charges or early termination charges are unfair. Many are fair. In order to decide whether they are fair, however, it is necessary to consider the amount of the charge in relation to the goods or services supplied. An early termination charge in a mobile phone contract, for example, might be quite fair if it simply recouped the cost of the handset supplied
The main reference to an unfair price term is:

Quote:
price escalation clauses which do not give the consumer a corresponding right to cancel the contract
That doesn't apply to cable as you can cancel for a price change, and doesn't apply to mobile because you are aware of the guaranteed change when you take out the contract.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:19   #35
DABhand
Inactive

Many = All

But also I believe there was more to that than that quote you used.

Section 8 has a lot of contract changes listed. Especially examples.

I have no qualms about people not paying a fee if prices change, but there is instances with court proceedings that have gone against a company that have done this mid contract in favour of the customer.

But I think the main thing that annoys most people is VM's control of the contract, if you get sub par service and choose to leave you have to pay a fee, which is wrong, since Sales of Goods Act also covers services provided by a business.. and the contract even though worded in a way to protect VM, cannot over power law, and thusly a sub par service for a long time would annul the contract... but yet VM try to get fees for it.

But anything else that would require them to foot a cost, technically I am legally entitled to say to VM if you change the contract I can charge you a £25 fee for doing so, to set up my new direct debit etc... but yet they would rather you just kill the contract and dump services than go through that, which makes them a hypocrite of sorts.

So yeah... the contract is unfair imho and in favour mostly to the provider being VM.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:45   #36
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But anything else that would require them to foot a cost, technically I am legally entitled to say to VM if you change the contract I can charge you a £25 fee for doing so, to set up my new direct debit etc... but yet they would rather you just kill the contract and dump services than go through that, which makes them a hypocrite of sorts.
Pity you ruin your argument with the above statement. It doesn't cost you anything to change a direct debit , the whole point being that the company has control of the direct debit so you don't have to do anything unless they do something wrong.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 14:16   #37
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
but there is instances with court proceedings that have gone against a company that have done this mid contract in favour of the customer.
And I bet you none of them involved contracts at all relevant to the discussion in this thread, i.e. contracts that already allowed customers to cancel without charge or penalty.

Quote:
since Sales of Goods Act also covers services provided by a business
You mean the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982

Quote:
I agree with arcimedes here, this is total rubbish and in fact makes you a hypocrite.

Regulations forbid companies from charging penalty fees that are disproportionate to the actual time, effort, and costs involved in actioning something. Since changing a direct debit amount takes zero time, and requires absolutely no effort at all on your part, you would be entitled to charge absolutely £0. Any attempt to charge more than £0 for you doing absolutely nothing whatsoever would be deemed an unfair, likely a penalty clause and legally unenforceable.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 16:15   #38
DABhand
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Pity you ruin your argument with the above statement. It doesn't cost you anything to change a direct debit , the whole point being that the company has control of the direct debit so you don't have to do anything unless they do something wrong.
Was being sarcastic at their charges for what they do to cancel your account which cost nothing either Just a few clicks :P

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
And I bet you none of them involved contracts at all relevant to the discussion in this thread, i.e. contracts that already allowed customers to cancel without charge or penalty.
Not many are in examples, it is the basis which is relevant.

Quote:
You mean the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
Nope Sale of Goods Act (may have added that extra s in before) also deals with goods and services to the consumer and how it is provided and what you receive in promised quality.

Supply of Goods and Services Act is the act of transferring the goods in reasonable care and condition.

Quote:
I agree with arcimedes here, this is total rubbish and in fact makes you a hypocrite.

Regulations forbid companies from charging penalty fees that are disproportionate to the actual time, effort, and costs involved in actioning something. Since changing a direct debit amount takes zero time, and requires absolutely no effort at all on your part, you would be entitled to charge absolutely £0. Any attempt to charge more than £0 for you doing absolutely nothing whatsoever would be deemed an unfair, likely a penalty clause and legally unenforceable.
Like I said in the last post, it was sarcasm to show what VM does to cancel your account is worth nothing also. So you can do what they do in Rome and charge them for nothing.
Old 10-02-2015, 16:18   #39
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Was being sarcastic at their charges for what they do to cancel your account which cost nothing either Just a few clicks :P
If you close your account outside of a minimum term, or during the exit period allowed for a price change, Virgin Media do not charge for closing the account.

Within a minium term, Early Disconnection Fees are not charged to cover the cost of the work required to close the account.
Old 11-02-2015, 18:01   #40
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you close your account outside of a minimum term, or during the exit period allowed for a price change, Virgin Media do not charge for closing the account.
Indeed, yet their competitors (BT) do.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote