Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 169 IP address error and unidentified network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

169 IP address error and unidentified network

Old 24-10-2014, 16:38   #1
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road
169 IP address error and unidentified network

Hi all you'll have to forgive me I'm using kindle because I cannot access internet on desktop PC

Reason why is last night I could get no connection - spoke with faults and they advised a few diagnostics, after checking ip config via cmd it's showing 169.254.39.81 on IPv4

I've done the release / renew procedure but no luck. I've manually entered some data in the adapter properties settings but reverted back to automatic detection when this didn't work. I've pin-reset the hub, I've connected the Ethernet cable from hub to internet TV and I receive internet on that device. My wireless works fine on my kindle & smart phone. The other Ethernet cable going to TiVo box downstairs is okay and gives me a 192. Address in the TiVo network settings. For some reason I cannot access internet on my PC. Faults advised my super hub is okay as its sending data and my wireless is fine.

Could the internal RJ45 port on the back of my PC suddenly go faulty and give up the ghost? When the e-cable is connected to the RJ45 port I get the green & Orange led lights which according to my PC manual suggests its linked & ready for 100mbps

If I install the nVidia nForce adapter how will I reinstall if I am unable to connect to internet to d/load latest drivers?

Any advice would be appreciated as I'm at a loss now how to get internet back on desktop PC
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2014, 17:30   #2
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: 169 IP address error and unidentified network

My suggestions would be turn the PC off. Turn the router/modem off for a minute. Boot the modem first, wait for that to settle, then the router, and wait for that to settle. Then finally the PC
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 17:35   #3
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

There may be a self-test option in the adapter settings, or a self test program.

Simplest stopgap, get a USB Wifi adapter - it may come in useful for something else, and it would allow you to get hold of drivers etc.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 17:48   #4
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
My suggestions would be turn the PC off. Turn the router/modem off for a minute. Boot the modem first, wait for that to stettle, then the router, and wait for that to settle. Then finally the PC
Hi I don't have a router just the cable super hub, but I've tried this and still get the 169 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
There may be a self-test option in the adapter settings, or a self test program.

Simplest stopgap, get a USB Wifi adapter - it may come in useful for something else, and it would allow you to get hold of drivers etc.
Hi I'll look into getting hold of one of them - in the meantime should I try & uninstall the nvidia network adapter?
Old 24-10-2014, 23:35   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You can try whatever you like, it's impossible for us to tell what the problem is going off the information given either way. Could be the Superhub, could be the cable, could be the adapter, could be the driver, could be the firewall, could be the DHCP client. Easiest way to rule out hardware is plug the known working cable into your PC and plug your PC cable into the known working device.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 13:23   #6
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

I think it's the RJ45 connector on the PC's output panel - I've ordered a PCI NIC and another Ethernet cable - need to wait until Monday for it to arrive so in meantime I'll do a clean install, was going to carry out one soon anyway.
Old 25-10-2014, 19:05   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Simple things first - do you get reconnected it you put a static IP on the NIC?

You need an IP - 192.168.1.x - or whatever your range is, subnet - probably 255.255.255.0, the default gateway - same as the IP but either a 1 or 254 at the end and a DNS address - just use Google's 8.8.8.8

Shove all that in - take less than 1 min) and see if you get reconnected. If you do - bingo - you have DHCP issue....