Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows Update problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows Update problem

Old 15-10-2014, 20:07   #16
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads
Re: Windows Update problem

Hope you get sorted soon, currently trying to load current updates for win 7 on 3 laptops.
17 updates but loads 1 then cancelled other 16, restarted again to load 16 then promptly cancels 15.
Final load all 17 listed updates on 3rd attempt.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2014, 20:36   #17
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Oh dear. I have a load pending too, just wondering if it'll all kick off when I turn off this laptop later...

No new updates are showing up on the wife's PC, it's as Microsoft can't 'see' it anymore so don't know what updates it needs.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Just found this which concerns Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 - the last update the wife's PC received before the wheels came off.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/25993...-settings.html

In the comments section there's this:

Quote:
Here is a fix for you problem with windows 7 updates august
28 2014

1)
open windows up date

2)
click on update history

3)
find Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320

4)
Right click on it

5)
Chose help and support

6)
Click run fix it center

7)
Restart computer and try again

Done
Wonder if this is the solution...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 21:07   #18
raging bull
cf.geek

raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Possible solution, can't break anything can it?
Old 15-10-2014, 21:07   #19
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Oh dear.

Just went up to try the above and now the PC won't fire up. The fan whirrs into action and lights up but instead of quickly slowing down, booting up and the screen coming on, the thing just keeps going with the fan whirring away at speed and a black screen with nothing on it. I left it for 10 mins with no change then powered off but on restarting the same thing happens. I'm going to leave it and see if it comes on but I'm not hopeful. The last thing I did before shutting it down was the Avast scan which I mentioned above. It was shut down normally with no sign of any problems so I'm baffled...
Old 15-10-2014, 22:49   #20
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

can you re-format your hard drive and install windows again?
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:35   #21
Osem
Inactive

I have recovery discs so that hopefully won't be necessary.

Anyway, I managed the get the PC to restart normally and tried following the above 'Windows Update' steps but when I get to the MS help and support link the page comes up 'cannot be found' so it seems MS have removed the fix for some reason.

I notice the comments on changing DNS settings but am nervous about trying that as I have no idea what I'd be doing and don't want to add new problems. Anyone got any thoughts as to how to proceed from here?

TIA as always.
Old 18-10-2014, 20:46   #22
Osem
Inactive

Still having issues with this. Anyone know what'd happen if I just uninstalled the suspect update and those which have followed it. If settings elsewhere have been changed by the update removing won't undo these will it?
Old 18-10-2014, 20:46   #23
raging bull
cf.geek

Are you any forward in sorting out your problem?
Old 18-10-2014, 20:48   #24
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Are you any forward in sorting out your problem?
See above, our posts crossed - how's that for a coincidence?
Old 18-10-2014, 22:08   #25
raging bull
cf.geek

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24656...r-crashes.html
Is this link the same as you put up earlier?
[Even the updates issued over last week are suspect]
Old 18-10-2014, 22:11   #26
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Windows update has been problematic for ages.

When i reinstalled my PC it took over 2hrs to download updates and recently another 16 were released and took 25 mins to download.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 22:21   #27
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
http://www.pcworld.com/article/24656...r-crashes.html
Is this link the same as you put up earlier?
[Even the updates issued over last week are suspect]
No not the same but it seems to relate to the same updates. The only problem we can see on her PC is that it hasn't done any Windows updates since August and we can't get updater to work.

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post

When i reinstalled my PC it took over 2hrs to download updates and recently another 16 were released and took 25 mins to download.
Yes my laptop took ages to update. I don't mind that much because at least it's being done and they seem to be ok. The wife's machine is another matter, not been updated since August and don't know how to resolve it.
Old 22-10-2014, 12:27   #28
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Still having issues with this. Anyone know what'd happen if I just uninstalled the suspect update and those which have followed it. If settings elsewhere have been changed by the update removing won't undo these will it?
You'd probably lose the ability to run Windows updates. The update to the updater is required for further updates to update.

Honestly, without direct access to the PC to investigate in detail I can't really suggest much other than 'reinstall' as you've already proposed. It may be a sledgehammer to crack a nut but last time I had Windows Update problems it took a good 4 hours of time in front of the machine to solve, and a reinstall would be quicker for most people!

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post

As I've told you before, that is not problematic, that is normal. You try downloading a gig of data and installing 16 programs by hand in 25 minutes...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 12:56   #29
Osem
Inactive

@ qasdfdsaq

Thanks for the reply mate. Yes I've spent ages trying to find out what's wrong, finding links to supposed MS 'fixes' only to find they're no longer available. Even now people are still reporting problems with this update so presumably MS hasn't really fixed it.

As regards a reset, I'm sure I read somewhere that a reset can be done either retaining personal data or not. Is that true? If it is I'd prefer the former option. If I do go down this route I have no idea what to expect so could you give me an idea what'll need to be done or point me somewhere where I can find out in layman's terms. TVM.