Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Restoring SH1 setting

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Restoring SH1 setting

Old 19-09-2014, 08:52   #1
Musicman
cf.addict

Services: Variable speed 10MB BB, Phone & Sky+
Musicman is an unknown quantity at this point
Restoring SH1 setting

I currently have a SH1 which is proving unreliable in that the settings page (webserver) becomes unavailable after some days, though it still responds to pings and also though devices have a wireless connection, they cannot access the world wide web, though all internal devices are still accessible.

I have been requested to reset the modem to see if that makes a difference, but as I already had a network with quite a few static addresses on the 192.168.1.x range when the SH1 was supplied to me, I remember the pain of trying to assign the 192.168.1.x IP address range to the SH1 from whatever its default was.

My question is, if a do a factory reset and then restore the settings file, will the LAN IP address range change to my current setting of 192.168.1.x rather than the default. Hopefully someone will have tried this or something similar in the past and can advise.

Thanks

Gary
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2014, 10:21   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Restoring SH1 setting

I haven't tried it myself but it should do, that is the whole point of backing it up. But that being said, it is the shub(1) and nothing works as it is supposed to. If I were you I would either ring up tech support and tell them it keeps locking up and asking for a shub2 or if worse comes to worst, buy a proper router and put the shub in modem mode.

Shub1 is notorious for doing what you have described and they have obviously never got to the bottom of it and it needs replacing one way or the other.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:33   #3
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

For one, while factory resetting the hub is generally considered a worthwhile exercise when diagnosing issues, there's a chance that even if you fix the problem it's having, restoring your old settings might just bring it back again so keep that in mind.

Secondly, if you're running a web server and want to statically assign a bunch of devices on your network, then I'd heavily recommend investing in a decent wireless router as the hub just isn't up to the task of dealing with that level of configuration (As you've found out with your headaches). A good router will allow you to assign specific IP addresses per device via DHCP so you don't need to manage devices one by one while also avoiding any IP conflicts from the DHCP server tryng to dish out an IP you've statically set.
Port forwarding is also much less of a headache.

You are exactly the kind of person that should have a proper router. I firmly believe that most people can actually get by with the SHUB (or ideally the SHUB2) but people like yourself are far better off with a dedicated router.

Another advantage of having your own is that you don't have to worry about reconfiguring everything should you decide to move ISP's. Though some other ISP's do try and limit you from using your own router, it's fairly trivial to get around.

In short, do yourself a favour and get a decent router. Put the SHUB into modem mode and then never worry about it again.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:43   #4
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Having had some odd issues with some TP-link gear after restoring settings from a backup (it just wouldn't route traffic properly) I always note down router configs and then re-enter them manually after a reset.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 11:56   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
do yourself a favour and get a decent router. Put the SHUB into modem mode and then never worry about it again.
that should be the new motto for the forum
Old 19-09-2014, 12:31   #6
Musicman
cf.addict

Services: Variable speed 10MB BB, Phone & Sky+
Musicman is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Secondly, if you're running a web server and want to statically assign a bunch of devices on your network, then I'd heavily recommend investing in a decent wireless router as the hub just isn't up to the task of dealing with that level of configuration (As you've found out with your headaches). A good router will allow you to assign specific IP addresses per device via DHCP so you don't need to manage devices one by one while also avoiding any IP conflicts from the DHCP server tryng to dish out an IP you've statically set.
Port forwarding is also much less of a headache.
When I am referring to a webserver, I am referring to the integral one on the SH1 that allows you to change settings, I am not running anything special, though I have a NAS box that is only internal to my network and not accessible from the outside world.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:33   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
When I am referring to a webserver, I am referring to the integral one on the SH1 that allows you to change settings, I am not running anything special, though I have a NAS box that is only internal to my network and not accessible from the outside world.
Whoops, you are correct of course. I apparently just seen "webserver" and went off on one. Still, if you're statically assigning addresses, you cannot beat the ease of use of a good router.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:38   #8
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Your own router is always the best idea if your doing anything more taxing than checking email and basic browsing. It annoys me that people complain how crap various ADSL routers are when you can go out and buy your own for not that much money.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 12:44   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I fell for that as well and then realised what you meant. A web server is a pc you would use for hosting a website or something. What you are talking about is the "web interface" for the shub.
Old 19-09-2014, 23:29   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I'm king of misunderstanding things on this forum and even I knew exactly what he meant from the outset.

Then again what do you think serves up the 'web interface' on the Superhub? A web server. Very few webservers are PCs.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
that should be the new motto for the forum
And that was what everyone was already doing before VM decided to stop them
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote