Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | SH2ac - Retentions?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

SH2ac - Retentions?

Old 20-09-2014, 16:05   #16
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: SH2ac - Retentions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Mines been fine but I've swapped out a few with all 5 lights permanently stuck on bright blue and the wps button stuck on bright blue. In fact one was a regular sh2

Simple swap of hub, woukd like to know what causes it.
I had this exact problem with my SH2ac yesterday! Luckily for me i managed to get my old SH2 reactivated Saturday morning and they're sending a new SH2ac out to me.
Old 20-09-2014, 16:24   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
How do you propose software pushes hardware too hard during a reboot? If a router can't handle hitting 100% utilisation for a while without having a hardware failure that's a manufacturing issue.
Most devices don't spin up to 100% at reboot, they tend to stay quite underclocked until they're finished initialising, then they ramp up. For all we know, there's a bug causing a clock to get set too high so not 100% but maybe 110%. Pure, utter speculation though

Quote:
Damage during reboot is more likely due to the voltage spike and trough when power is applied. There can be latency before regulators kick in.

There are a very few cases where software can harm hardware, however these usually need the software to go out of its way to damage the hardware or the hardware to have some quite provocative switches available to control it.

The examples that come to mind for me are Stuxnet, though that worked on PLCs operating industrial processes so quite different from a cable modem router, and software that could kill Android devices by messing around with voltage regulation.

I wouldn't have thought the router firmware would have any control at all over low level functions capable of harming hardware, that'd be looked after by whatever is in the motherboard, individual cards, and SoC's ROM/PLA?

If the required buttons and switches are exposed to the router firmware that would be an 'interesting' decision.
The point I'm ultimately getting at is that I don't think you can rule out software just because of the way the SHUB2AC's are dying. They do all seem to be dying suddenly from the various reports which is a little too consistent for my liking.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 18:31   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
How do you propose software pushes hardware too hard during a reboot? If a router can't handle hitting 100% utilisation for a while without having a hardware failure that's a manufacturing issue.
Or a design issue :P Quite a few laptops these days aren't able to run at full load continuously, often having to throttle down after a few seconds to minutes - though that's slightly different as it causes no damange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Most devices don't spin up to 100% at reboot, they tend to stay quite underclocked until they're finished initialising, then they ramp up.
I agree with Ignition here - hardware that can't run at 100% without damaging itself is faulty.

Furthermore, in practice, it actually works the opposite of how you describe at least on x86 and MIPS systems (the latter being common for routers). Most devices actually operate at 100% without being capable of throttling down or underclocking until the higher level OS is loaded. Without the OS, drivers, and CPU governors loaded, by default almost all devices will run at 100% clockspeed. Further, if something crashes during startup, it usually gets stuck at 100% forever as well.

Quote:
There are a very few cases where software can harm hardware, however these usually need the software to go out of its way to damage the hardware or the hardware to have some quite provocative switches available to control it. The examples that come to mind for me are Stuxnet, though that worked on PLCs operating industrial processes so quite different from a cable modem router, and software that could kill Android devices by messing around with voltage regulation. I wouldn't have thought the router firmware would have any control at all over low level functions capable of harming hardware, that'd be looked after by whatever is in the motherboard, individual cards, and SoC's ROM/PLA? If the required buttons and switches are exposed to the router firmware that would be an 'interesting' decision.
I haven't investigated the SH2 but a lot of routers do in fact expose voltage and CPU controls to the higher level OS, though often you need a patched or modified kernel to access them, as most stock kernels don't have the capability baked in. So yeah, as you say software has to deliberately go a long way out of it's way to cause damage. But it is theoretically possible and some communities of people who deliberately overclock their routers this way. TBH most consumer devices will have some exposed register or I/O pin somewhere that can modify voltages and/or clockspeed arbitrarily but are usually undocumented or unavailable without special modified drivers in the end product.

It's not going to happen by accident though, unless by freak occurrence RAM corruption manages to hit in such a way the kernel governor accidentally adds a '0' on to the end of the clockspeed setting while sending it to the appropriate registers...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 09:35   #19
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Or a design issue :P Quite a few laptops these days aren't able to run at full load continuously, often having to throttle down after a few seconds to minutes - though that's slightly different as it causes no damange.
Not just laptops, but pretty much all tablets and smartphones have that "issue".

Quote:
I agree with Ignition here - hardware that can't run at 100% without damaging itself is faulty.
I don't disagree with this. I'm saying that it's possible the software is trying to push the hardware harder than it's meant to.

Quote:
Furthermore, in practice, it actually works the opposite of how you describe at least on x86 and MIPS systems (the latter being common for routers). Most devices actually operate at 100% without being capable of throttling down or underclocking until the higher level OS is loaded. Without the OS, drivers, and CPU governors loaded, by default almost all devices will run at 100% clockspeed. Further, if something crashes during startup, it usually gets stuck at 100% forever as well.
I'm not going to disagree at all here, as I have limited experience with embedded devices. The ones I have dealt with do start off underclocked and spin up as hardware is initialised. In fact, it was because of this very reason that it's possible to glitch an Xbox 360 to run unsigned code. Obviously not the same thing, however.

Either way, hardware or software, enough people are having issues that Virgin needs to sort it.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote