Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Counter terrorism raid in cardiff

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Counter terrorism raid in cardiff

Old 18-09-2014, 16:28   #16
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Counter terrorism raid in cardiff

I suppose the National Census will have have figures of those LEGALLY in each area, but I just notice heads and shop types as a general rule.

Cathays had a lot of buy-to-let student accommodation that became too expensive once the new Halls of Residence estates appeared. The space was filled by Roma for a while, but it has seen a large influx of Middle Eastern/ Pakistani people, not yet in the majority yet though.

Ely doesn't seem to be attractive to a lot of non-europeans, they tend to gravitate to the center for some reason.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2014, 17:12   #17
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Like where? I was in Ely and Grangetown the other day and the place didn't seem too bad. I certainly didn't intimidated or uncomfortable. To be honest I find Canton aka Studentville to be a worse area.
Day and night are certainly different on some streets. Clifton Street is a good example, as soon as the light starts to go they start to gather in groups. My partner and her 20 yr old will not go into that area at night, but you only have to go back 3-4 years and they would do it without feeling any threats.

Some people often ask what is it that makes them appear threatening, in most cases apart from people being mugged it's their general mannerism and rowdy behaviour. They are quite fond of hanging about in doorways one or two will step out in front of you whilst one or two approach from behind.

I was approached early one morning on my way to work, they were obviously looking for someone to mug. They apologised and cleared off quickly when I made it clear I'm not a victim.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

Quote:
I mean which of the areas have immigrants as their majority population? Are there any figures to confirm this?
They don't need to be the majority in the area to be intimidating, there are just enough of them to keep decent honest people off the streets. In the area my partner lives they are not local residents, but have been enticed there by the local authority who have provided them with a community center and play area. These facilities were due to close through lack of funding, but the local authority found some cash to keep it open and bribe them off the streets.

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I suppose the National Census will have have figures of those LEGALLY in each area, but I just notice heads and shop types as a general rule.

Cathays had a lot of buy-to-let student accommodation that became too expensive once the new Halls of Residence estates appeared. The space was filled by Roma for a while, but it has seen a large influx of Middle Eastern/ Pakistani people, not yet in the majority yet though.

Ely doesn't seem to be attractive to a lot of non-europeans, they tend to gravitate to the center for some reason.
Didn't I hear the the immigrants placed in Ely by the local authority started their antics and the locals started beating them up, they were then moved to Splott.
Old 19-09-2014, 18:13   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Having been born in Ely, I was glad to get out aged 4.

Lots of the family are still there, and it's true, they don't put up with too much nonsense on their doorsteps.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 23:03   #19
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
Day and night are certainly different on some streets. Clifton Street is a good example, as soon as the light starts to go they start to gather in groups. My partner and her 20 yr old will not go into that area at night, but you only have to go back 3-4 years and they would do it without feeling any threats.

Some people often ask what is it that makes them appear threatening, in most cases apart from people being mugged it's their general mannerism and rowdy behaviour. They are quite fond of hanging about in doorways one or two will step out in front of you whilst one or two approach from behind.

I was approached early one morning on my way to work, they were obviously looking for someone to mug. They apologised and cleared off quickly when I made it clear I'm not a victim.
It's always reassuring to have the local hardmen letting these people know we'll reclaim our streets if we need to.

Quote:
Didn't I hear the the immigrants placed in Ely by the local authority started their antics and the locals started beating them up, they were then moved to Splott.
I never heard of them getting beaten up and one of the guys I work with who lives in Splott says that area seems to be pretty much ok at the moment. He didn't mention the immigrant population though.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 16:03   #20
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
It's always reassuring to have the local hardmen letting these people know we'll reclaim our streets if we need to.

I never heard of them getting beaten up and one of the guys I work with who lives in Splott says that area seems to be pretty much ok at the moment. He didn't mention the immigrant population though.
I don't think of myself as the local hardman there is always someone bigger and harder, very often they are smaller. But one thing I have never done is be intimidated by anyone big or small, admittedly I have the scars and disfigurement to prove it.

I was approached early in the morning on the way to the train station, one crossed the road towards me and the other started to cross the road diagonally as the first walked up to me and stopped in front of me. They did their usual trick of asking the time, this often results in the victim pulling their phone out of their pocket and then as a result being mugged. My response was none too pleasant, he said 'Sorry' turned to his mate and gestured at him presumably to abort the attempt. They both headed off back in the direction they came from.

I would have thought that if they were genuine they would have made a point of saying they only wanted the time, but it looked more like they realised they were rumbled by someone who wasn't going to give up without a fight.

So the question is, was I being unhelpful by not pulling my phone out of my pocket to a couple of harmless East Europeans just innocently asking the time or was I being streetwise to a couple of would be muggers. (When at the time there were instances of it going on in the area)

I only heard of one family being beaten up in Ely, but I have also heard that the local gypsies had been at logger heads with them coming onto their turf and taking over their money making activities. Quite a few transit tippers can be seen going around the area driven by East Europeans.
Old 20-09-2014, 16:19   #21
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Immigration were also out yesterday.

They arrested and are holding 2 muslims that ran the local newsagent by my parents.

This is the second time Immigration have rated this shop and have taken people in less than a year.

---------- Post added at 15:19 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

Quote:
I don't think of myself as the local hardman there is always someone bigger and harder, very often they are smaller. But one thing I have never done is be intimidated by anyone big or small, admittedly I have the scars and disfigurement to prove it.

I was approached early in the morning on the way to the train station, one crossed the road towards me and the other started to cross the road diagonally as the first walked up to me and stopped in front of me. They did their usual trick of asking the time, this often results in the victim pulling their phone out of their pocket and then as a result being mugged. My response was none too pleasant, he said 'Sorry' turned to his mate and gestured at him presumably to abort the attempt. They both headed off back in the direction they came from.

I would have thought that if they were genuine they would have made a point of saying they only wanted the time, but it looked more like they realised they were rumbled by someone who wasn't going to give up without a fight.

So the question is, was I being unhelpful by not pulling my phone out of my pocket to a couple of harmless East Europeans just innocently asking the time or was I being streetwise to a couple of would be muggers. (When at the time there were instances of it going on in the area)

I only heard of one family being beaten up in Ely, but I have also heard that the local gypsies had been at logger heads with them coming onto their turf and taking over their money making activities. Quite a few transit tippers can be seen going around the area driven by East Europeans.
Back about 5 months ago a few weeks after having a stroke i was in town with my parents in Swansea by the big St Marys church and my parents went into Iceland and i was sitting on the wall. A Man approached me and started asking for my wallet and he went to get something in his pocket and before he could i punched him and he landed on his ass and there were plenty of witnesses and he ran off, the guy was turkish.

When i reported it to the Police apparently this guy had been arrested twice the week before and he was known for that area as there is also an open car park where he attacks.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote