Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phones 4 U go in to administration

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Phones 4 U go in to administration

Old 25-09-2014, 01:34   #46
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Phones 4 U go in to administration

I bet the founder of the company is glad he sold it when he did (for £1.5bn).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2014, 06:14   #47
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

When I did mystery shopping for them it certainly seemed the front-end of the business ran well. There were certain criteria I had to watch out for and whereas some of the staff just about failed the tests (I caught out one deputy manager blatantly lying to try to get me to take a contract) many exceeded them. P4U have had a reputation of employing chavs and slimy 'used car salesman' types in the past but I didn't find many of them. There were details that we might consider small and insignificant but were very important to the company. For example when they took a phone out of the box for you to have a look at (or in P4U terms, "give the customer a sense of ownership"....), staff weren't to simply hand it over, they were to place it in one hand and put the other just behind it so the phone is 'standing up' as it's presented to you.

Of the stores I tested the ones in Currys/PC World seemed to score lowest but only just. One of the things I had to look out for was whether I was approached by any staff whilst I 'hovered' around the edge of the concession area and each time I had to wander about several times before anyone came up to me. Quite a few times all the staff were huddled together around the till - apparently this can often be team meetings and a chance for the managers to staff information and briefings etc. On my reports I always commented that I felt this looked unprofessional as it should have been done before the store opened. Still, the vast majority of staff and stores passed and passed well. The final question of each test report was "On the basis of your visit today would you recommend Phones 4U to a friend or relative?" and out of something like 30+ mystery shops I only responded negatively once.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 10:15   #48
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Well i doubt they will reopen the one in Swansea as we already have 2 EE stores within a 5 min walk of each other the old Orange store and old T Mobile shop and Phones4u is only 2 or 3 doors down from old Orange shop.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 13:16   #49
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Is that the one on the corner of the entrance to the market?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 25-09-2014, 14:31   #50
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Yes that's the Orange shop and then u have the old T mobile shop by the entrance of the Quadrant where the Quadrant gate pub used to be.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2014, 18:07   #51
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The Phones4U guys who worked in my local Currys are being kept on by CPW, as the know the Currys staff and have become friends
Haha, what?

All the Phones4u staff that worked store in store (sis) in Currys are being kept on by Dixons Carphone. It has nothing to with them knowing or being friends with Currys staff. How does this stuff get made up.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2014, 23:28   #52
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Well P4U have changed their minds and now will not be issuing refunds for all those who pre-ordered the iPhone 6 from them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29377077

To be honest I wasn't surprised to hear that.
Old 27-09-2014, 09:41   #53
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

I had a staff member from P4U approach me in PC World a few weeks ago. I was only looking - not buying! :-)

Anyway, he approached me with the gambit of giving me a discount in store *today* on anything I purchased....if I upgraded my phone.

I told him my phone was virtually new (One M8) - April / May this year, but he just didn't get the message and tried to continue on the "sell me an upgrade" speech.

The guy was very aggressive in his selling tactic and put me put me off ever using in the future.....if they existed.

Not really sure how their model worked - I've read if was profitable so they must have been getting some discount along the supplier chain - i.e. the major networks - until they pulled the plug on them.
Old 27-09-2014, 12:28   #54
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Anyway, he approached me with the gambit of giving me a discount in store *today* on anything I purchased....if I upgraded my phone.
That is often the case, and usually not down to the staff member themselves. The store manager will get an urgent brief about needing to sell a particular handset/tariff/network that day (or hour in some cases) and this gets passed on to the frontline staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
The guy was very aggressive in his selling tactic and put me put me off ever using in the future.....if they existed.
Part of the sales procedure was obviously to sell but aggresive tactics were an absolute no-no, the difficulty was 'agressive' to one person might be 'a bit pushy' to another and therefore awkward to quantify - and this is where we came in. Enough reports of one staff member being judged as agressive in their sales tactics would see them investigated from within the company.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 27-09-2014, 18:48   #55
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Aggressive sales are nothing new, I remember back when 3G came out, I was approached in the street by a 3 network salesman, who tried to sell me a 3 phone on the strength of watching football videos on my phone... when I (initially) said no thanks, not interested, he got increasingly belligerent, up to the point I had to tell him to **** off.

I'd have been gutted if I'd forked out for a pre sale iphone, and then find out that I wasn't going to get it, and no refund either, hopefully there's provision for people that use debit/credit cards in those cases.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 18:59   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Well i doubt they will reopen the one in Swansea as we already have 2 EE stores within a 5 min walk of each other the old Orange store and old T Mobile shop and Phones4u is only 2 or 3 doors down from old Orange shop.
As there are now more mobile 'phone contracts than there are people in this country, it looks like consolidation is taking place following saturation of the market.

Once BT enter the foray, I foresee more job cuts and store closures in this sector.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2014, 20:35   #57
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
As there are now more mobile 'phone contracts than there are people in this country, it looks like consolidation is taking place following saturation of the market.

Once BT enter the foray, I foresee more job cuts and store closures in this sector.
Actually, when I was working on BT Cellnet (as was) Data Warehouse programme 2000-2003, I doubted the Marketing department's customer number forecasts when they said that by 2010, there would be as many contracts as people in the UK.

We were both right - the numbers came about five years after they forecast, but none of us realised people would have multiple contracts (work phone, personal phone, data-enabled tablets....).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote