Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Last moments of a speeding biker

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Last moments of a speeding biker

Old 11-09-2014, 12:05   #61
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Last moments of a speeding biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
The Nordic countries populations all combined still do not equal ours, also there are 27 million cars in this BAN everything crap country.
Deaths per 100,000 inhabitants means that population is taken in to account (but not population density)

Regarding deaths per 100,000 motor vehicles, the UK comes out about 6.2, better than France at 8.5 and Germany at 6.9, but behind Spain at 5.9 and Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Quote:
Where there is any form of motorized transport there will always be fatalities unfortunately.
Indeed there will be, its the nature of the beast. What's needed is a proportionate and sensible response.

One thing I do believe will help is bringing back proper "public information films" like the old drink-drive adverts on prime time telly. Nothing major, just something to remind berks that the left lane on a motorway is perfectly safe to use, and to watch out for bikes.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2014, 13:22   #62
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Thanks. Hmmm, car driver appears to indicate and move position at the same time so there is no advance warning that he is about to end his stint hogging the outside lane.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 13:54   #63
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

It seems to me that the biker was going up the middle of the traffic at a much higher speed than the surrounding vehicles which is something he shouldn't be doing irrespective of any lane 'hogging'. The car driver certainly appears to indicate far too late but it's bad driving like that which bikers need to be so aware of and is the best possible reason for not risking their lives weaving through traffic at speed.

Breaking the rules simply because you can, because someone else is doing so or just because they're getting in the way isn't good driving or riding for that matter. It's a combination of those factors which accounts for how many bikers kill and maim themselves every year. The fact is that a driver who's in the wrong is far more likely to survive intact than a biker who's made a mistake or indeed a biker who just happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 15:00   #64
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Thanks. Hmmm, car driver appears to indicate and move position at the same time so there is no advance warning that he is about to end his stint hogging the outside lane.
Yeh looks like the bike was going to undertake all the cars. and that driver spotted his intention and said i'm not having that.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 16:22   #65
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Just a small point of order, the oncoming traffic is on the left.

So not in the UK......
Old 11-09-2014, 16:26   #66
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk:35728120
Well done Al; it's an awareness too many other road users don't exhibit. Ever fancied getting a bike again?
Yea thought about it but that's all I'm allowed to do lol, wife would divorce me if I turned up on 2 wheels.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 17:22   #67
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Thanks. Although it seems not all bikers agree. Top Banana doesn't but he can't say why. Perhaps before accusing people of writing 'utter crap' he should consider if what he has written is utter crap.

Or maybe he just can't ride a bike properly?

Was the biker in the gif you've posted speeding?
I didn't post a gif.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 18:04   #68
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Just a small point of order, the oncoming traffic is on the left.

So not in the UK......
Oops...Julian's made us all look a bit stupid .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I didn't post a gif.
The gif that appeared in the post you quoted then . Sorry, I was just making general conversation...
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 15:06   #69
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

I ride a motorbike during all but the worst weather. I don't commute on a fast one, it's an old mans 650 Honda Deauville, a fairly large bike with fairing and silver in colour. I wear a jacket that has a large area of yellow fluorescent and my helmet is also fluorescent yellow. (I'm a very visible commuter)

I still get car drivers look straight at me and pull out in front of me from junctions or changing lanes, and I get certain types of drivers driving certain types of vehicles that I am extra vigilant about (young women with small hatchbacks).

I jst don't get the excuse of blind spots from car drivers, motorcyclists also have a blind spot, but we were born with the ability to turn our head and look at our blind spot. I have always done this right from passing my car test, long before I rode a motorbike. I guess though that many car drivers just can't be bothered whilst lounging in their armchair.

I do see the odd motorcyclist riding recklessly but not on a daily basis, that tends to be the weekend knee down variety. I have seen a few accidents on my regular weekend trips to North Wales, they are usually a mixture of inexperienced riders trying to keep up with a faster group or a cars pulling out of junctions without looking properly.

As a commuter I also filter quite a bit, but I always look well ahead for a spot to get back in the traffic and often don't filter all the way to the front of the queue. I will not take extra risk just to get in front of a few extra vehicles, I find that some traffic will move over when they see you coming but some are not aware because they don't use their mirrors. There are also some who deliberately pull into your path, obviously they are jealous that they are stuck in traffic and want to make you suffer the same.

I have had 3 close incidents involving other vehicles and one involving a kamikaze cat who was the closest to knocking me off my bike. One of the vehicle incidents I believe was an attempted crash for cash involving 2 other vehicles that I had to swerve to avoid on a roundabout, and the other 2 involved buses. I find lorry drivers to be generally observant although I give those with foreign number plates extra caution. Bus drivers on the other hand don't seem to care, if they want to pull into your lane or pull out of a junction they will do just that.

Note:
The roundabout incident involved a young Asian male in a hatchback who slammed his brakes on for no apparent reason in the wet on the middle of a roundabout, it appeared that he was attempting to get a people carrier entering the roundabout to crash into him.
Old 15-09-2014, 10:18   #70
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
I jst don't get the excuse of blind spots from car drivers, motorcyclists also have a blind spot, but we were born with the ability to turn our head and look at our blind spot. I have always done this right from passing my car test, long before I rode a motorbike. I guess though that many car drivers just can't be bothered whilst lounging in their armchair.
Having in the past experienced the occasional "blind spot" moment while driving a car, I always glance over my shoulder before changing course. I'm amazed that it isn't emphasised as a life-saver for car drivers as it is for bikers.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 13:46   #71
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I agree 100% with you, hence my thread on taking a two day course on a bike in a centre.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 15:40   #72
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I agree 100% with you, hence my thread on taking a two day course on a bike in a centre.
A person starting out to learn to drive a car will not benefit from having a two day course learning how to ride a motor bike.

but he will benefit enormously if he wanted to ride a bike.

and if he's any good he can come on the road with us car drivers.
Old 17-09-2014, 10:12   #73
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

O people will benefit from the course as a few people I know of have take their CBT and are already car drivers have said to me. Having both full car and bike licenses I am probably more skilled than just having a car license!
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 19:00   #74
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
O people will benefit from the course as a few people I know of have take their CBT and are already car drivers have said to me. Having both full car and bike licenses I am probably more skilled than just having a car license!
But it doesn't benefit a car driver to learn how to ride a bike.
yes they will have another skill. but it won't help in anyway come driving a car.

just like doing a 2 day course driving a warship won't benefit a dinghy driver.
Old 17-09-2014, 19:13   #75
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
But it doesn't benefit a car driver to learn how to ride a bike.
yes they will have another skill. but it won't help in anyway come driving a car.

just like doing a 2 day course driving a warship won't benefit a dinghy driver.
As richard s says, car drivers do benefit from the cbt and taking the full motorbike licence.

Riding a motorcycle rubs off on your car driving, it involves much greater observation skills as you have to be aware of what's going on around you. A motorcyclist will generally look a hell of a lot further ahead at hazards than the average car driver will, some car drivers only look straight ahead and many don't look much further than the end of their bonnet.

My partner changed her driving attitude after spending just a few rides as pillion, she immediately appreciated how vulnerable a motorcyclist can be when sharing the road with car drivers who are not in the least observant.

I think there should be stiffer sentences for motorists who are at fault by causing serious injury or death through their own actions or lack of them.