Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Problems with recording?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Problems with recording?

Old 02-09-2014, 13:33   #1
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

whitewineandsoda is an unknown quantity at this point
Problems with recording?

Hi all, a bit confusing but here goes. We have the Tivo box, and I'm lead to believe that you can record 3 programmes and watch another. For a couple of weeks now a box will come up saying we need to change the channel in order for a recording to take place. This happens even when we're only recording 1 or 2 programmes. When it did it last night, there was 2 red lights on showing 2 recordings going on, so we deleted one due to record.5 mins later one recording stopped leaving just the one recording (I did wonder about the 5min overlap).
Any ideas as to why this is happening and what steps I can take to prevent it? I'm wondering if, when we're away, some things won't record. TIA, WWAS.
whitewineandsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2014, 14:26   #2
andrewlutonuk
cf.addict

Services: XL TV.Sky Sports/Movies, V6, VM 200MB.VM Fixed Phone
andrewlutonuk will become famous soon enoughandrewlutonuk will become famous soon enoughandrewlutonuk will become famous soon enough
Re: Problems with recording?

I understand when 3 programes are recording at the same time

You can then only watch one of the recording only and not change to a 4th channel

I have not had a problem changing channels when there is only 2 programes being recorded at the same time with my tivo

andrewlutonuk
andrewlutonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 15:40   #3
Biffs
cf.member

Services: virginmedia through and through
Biffs is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this can happen if you've set your recording options up with a long overlap before and after each programme? If you're going to be recording two sequential programmes on the same tv channel, then for a short while the box will need two recording channels so that it can get the lead in and tail off time for each one. Hard to describe in words!

BTW You can be recording 3 programmes and simultaneously watch a previously recorded programme - not a fourth channel.
Biffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 15:57   #4
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

Thanks for the replies, I think I know what's going on now. There is a 5min overlap on all recordings, so it looks like that's the cause. Still can't understand why it does it when only 2 are recording and no others due to record though.
Old 02-09-2014, 17:23   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewineandsoda View Post
I'm wondering if, when we're away, some things won't record
This shouldn't be a problem because it will change channel if you don't press any buttons.

Quote:
Still can't understand why it does it when only 2 are recording and no others due to record though.
There's always a reason but it's not always obvious. Can you post details of all recordings around the time it does it?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 18:43   #6
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
This shouldn't be a problem because it will change channel if you don't press any buttons.

There's always a reason but it's not always obvious. Can you post details of all recordings around the time it does it?
One instance- last night there was one recording 8.30pm - 9pm (Panorama) and then one was due to record as well at 9pm - 10pm. That's when the box came up saying to change channels. Even with the 5min overlap it was 2recording at 9pm. That's the bit I don't understand. One red light went out at 9.05pm and left one on showing just one recording, but we still had to cancel a recording.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58   #7
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
One instance- last night there was one recording 8.30pm - 9pm (Panorama) and then one was due to record as well at 9pm - 10pm. That's when the box came up saying to change channels. Even with the 5min overlap it was 2recording at 9pm. That's the bit I don't understand. One red light went out at 9.05pm and left one on showing just one recording, but we still had to cancel a recording.
Also of course, if two back-to-back recordings are on the same channel then the box will use the same tuner if necessary.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 18:46   #8
Biffs
cf.member

Services: virginmedia through and through
Biffs is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Also of course, if two back-to-back recordings are on the same channel then the box will use the same tuner if necessary.
You'd think so - but that's not my experience.
Biffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 19:45   #9
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffs View Post
You'd think so - but that's not my experience.
I actually discovered this fairly recently, and certainly proved it here. For example, I set.. (with 2minutes padding at each end)

11:00-12:00 Channel 1, 2 & 3
12:00-13:00 Channel 1, 2 & 3
13:00-13:30 Channel 1 & 2 already set, try to set Channel 4 - this warned of clash. Try to set Channel 3 and it accepted.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 20:19   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Or even if not necessary
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57   #11
whitewineandsoda
Inactive

Thanks for the replies, I've got some recording due, so I'm trying them without the 5mins overlap, and see how that goes. I'll post again when it's done it.