Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving Tivo from one serviced room to another

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving Tivo from one serviced room to another

Old 02-09-2014, 12:38   #1
ChrisLea
Inactive

ChrisLea is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving Tivo from one serviced room to another

Hi folks,

This is my first thread so please forgive me if I make a mess and please bear with me.

I have a VM Tivo box in one room which is serviced by a Vocom VC300 TV/FM isolator housed in an externally fitted box on the inside of the wall of the back room.

The single input port of the VC300 is connected to a co-axial cable that runs under the house and into the externally fitted brown VM box that is fixed to an external wall that supports the house.

Of the 2 output ports of the VC300, the one marked "TV" is connected to the TV via different coaxial cable that plugs into the Tivo box.

The output port of the VC300 that is marked "FM" is not connected to anything.

In the front room, I have a VM super hub broadband unit, that is connected to an externally fitted wall unit that contains an isolator with a single input port and a single output port. The input port goes through the wall to the brown VM box that supports the house.

My issue is that I am swapping the rooms and want to use the Tivo box in the room that supports the Broadband. I have in the past tried to connect the superhub to the "FM" output port of the VC300 but could not get a connection.

My questions to the forum is "what is the VC300 FM port used for, and will I be able the simply swap the 2 different isolators between the 2 rooms ?"

Thanks for your patience and I look forward to your help.
ChrisLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2014, 13:00   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moving Tivo from one serviced room to another

The FM port is a leftover from the days when FM radio was carried on the cable. It's now redundant. You'd need a splitter to run two devices in the same room, but that may mess up the signal levels. If in doubt, get Virgin in to move it. They'll also use up-to-date isolators.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 17:31   #3
ChrisLea
Inactive

ChrisLea is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the response Spiderplant !
ChrisLea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 13:36   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you already have two VM boxes then there must be a splitter somewhere upstream as there's normally only one cable* to the property from the street.

If you can re-arrange things so the street cable goes directly to the first box with the single isolator then you could use the liberated splitter inside the house to feed the TV and modem. The signal levels should stay broadly the same.

If you're not confident to try this then you should get VM in to tidy up the installation.

*Cable is figure of eight style as it also carries a phone feed even if this is not used.