Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upload speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Upload speeds

Old 01-09-2014, 17:05   #1
DOT COTTON
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TIVO XL PHONE 152MB BB
DOT COTTON is infamous around these partsDOT COTTON is infamous around these parts
Upload speeds

Does anyone know why vm can offer high download speeds but the likes of BT can offer higher upload speeds than VM?
thank you
MRS C
DOT COTTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2014, 17:10   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Upload speeds

Uploads are tied to the service tier - the current fastest upload of 12Mbit is available as part of the 152Mbit tier.
Old 01-09-2014, 17:12   #3
DOT COTTON
Permanently Banned

DOT COTTON is infamous around these partsDOT COTTON is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Uploads are tied to the service tier - the current fastest upload of 12Mbit is available as part of the 152Mbit tier.
What do you mean by service tier.
Old 01-09-2014, 17:14   #4
Jayrull I
Inactive

Services: Sky FTA & Talk Talk YouView Talk Talk Fibre 78Mbps & Virgin 152Mbps
Jayrull I is an unknown quantity at this point

The highest available is 12Mbps on the 152Mbps package.

I've heard on various forums that VM follow a 10:1 ratio policy for their downloads:uploads but I am not sure if this is true.

As I need a higher upload I have invested in dual connections one from Talk Talk and one from Virgin using a load balanced router which gives me around 30Mbps.

There's no point getting a business connection from any ISP as they are too expensive for my needs.
Jayrull I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 17:37   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT COTTON View Post
Does anyone know why vm can offer high download speeds but the likes of BT can offer higher upload speeds than VM? thank you MRS C
Different technology.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 17:49   #6
DOT COTTON
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Different technology.
But I thought they were both Fibre impact ?
Old 01-09-2014, 18:00   #7
Jayrull I
Inactive

Services: Sky FTA & Talk Talk YouView Talk Talk Fibre 78Mbps & Virgin 152Mbps
Jayrull I is an unknown quantity at this point

They aren't both "true fibre" as their is still some copper/coaxial involved.

BT and other ISP's who use BT's network: The customers internet connection is fibre from the exchange until the green cabinet on the street, from then on it uses copper to the house.

Virgin's cable network utilises fibre then coaxial I believe in the last bit of the connection to the customers property.
Jayrull I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 19:42   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
But I thought they were both Fibre impact ?
Different kinds of fibre.
Old 01-09-2014, 19:49   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

BT is fibre to a node (Cabinet), then raw copper after (sometimes just aluminium). The copper also has to support a regular phone line so various technologies are put in place to make the most of the "unused" part of the cable. That technology is capable of supporting higher upload speeds, but the side effect is how quickly both download/upload speeds diminish over distance due to the unshielded nature of the copper.

Virgin uses fibre to a node (Cabinet) but even at this level the technologies are different. After that, they differ even more, going forward in a shielded coaxial cable (still copper, but very different cable). The technologies in play here are geared towards maximising the available bandwidth in that copper cable but in a way that it doesn't diminish over distance. The side effect of this is that your speeds don't quite diminish over distance but you don't get much bandwidth in the "upstream" direction compared to the downstream.

TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Different technology.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02   #10
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Virgin uses fibre to a node (Cabinet) but even at this level the technologies are different. After that, they differ even more, going forward in a shielded coaxial cable (still copper, but very different cable). The technologies in play here are geared towards maximising the available bandwidth in that copper cable but in a way that it doesn't diminish over distance. The side effect of this is that your speeds don't quite diminish over distance but you don't get much bandwidth in the "upstream" direction compared to the downstream.
Well thats not a side effect of the coax itself
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 14:21   #11
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Well thats not a side effect of the coax itself
Not at all, didn't mean to imply that either.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:09   #12
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not at all, didn't mean to imply that either.
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:52   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Does anyone know why vm can offer high download speeds but the likes of BT can offer higher upload speeds than VM?
thank you
MRS C
Offering higher upload speeds will cost VM money. It's on the list but isn't a high priority for them, most people still focus on download speeds.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:02   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Shock horror, VM putting off doing something because it'll cost them money... Haven't you just spent the last few months berating Openreach because of... putting off doing things because it'll cost them money?

Upload costs both networks money tbh, since any capacity used for upload is capacity that must be removed from download use in both cases. It's easier to do for one company, but still degrades their headline download speeds.