Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Clay Oven

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Clay Oven

Old 28-08-2014, 19:51   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Clay Oven

I'm starting a project for next spring, it's going to be a pizza oven with BBQ and also some stoves for pans.

My concern is the oven itself. I've seen kits online around £2500 and there is no way im paying that. The main cost would be the oven door and the oven base.

I know you cant just put your pizza or bread on concrete, and i have seen the tiles you can buy but they are only small.

after some research i found that clay bricks will work, however you would have to use mortar which is concrete, or would you? is there any type of clay mortar that you can buy or make that I could use?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-08-2014, 19:58   #2
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Clay Oven

Hope this helps:

http://clayoven.wordpress.com/
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 20:32   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I've built several mostly in Cyprus where the autumn is oven building season as it is not so hot too cause rapid drying and therefore cracks.

All were made with a firebrick base and an arched firebrick liner, covered with a sandy clay insulation layer, then a well packed straw and earth layer, and finally a protective plaster coat that can be painted once it has totally dried out.

I only made one with a "door" but it was more like a wooden plug faced with steel sheet from an old car bonnet!

The cement of choice is calcium aluminate cement, though standard mortar can be improved with the addition of fireclay. A caveat though, is that firebricks should be laid with little or no gap at all on the inside of the oven. The cement is only used to fill up the spaces at the back (if it's an arch oven) or as a seal around the outside (if it's a block oven).

A good tall chimney will get the smoke out of your eyes as well as drawing the fire well. A neighbour passed his chimney smoke through lengths of steel tubing to a steel barrel that was his smoking oven.

Good fun to build, great fun to cook with!

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

http://kilnlinings.co.uk/firebricks

http://kilnlinings.co.uk/wood-burnin...b964f9cfb4ba39 if you're feeling flush and in a hurry
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:40   #4
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Is there a reason that the ovens are arched other than allowing the fire bricks to be unsupported.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:49   #5
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Have a look at this solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBod0FbXkA0

I love the way the guy formed a dome out of sand on which to lay the bricks for the domed section of the oven.
Old 29-08-2014, 11:25   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Is there a reason that the ovens are arched other than allowing the fire bricks to be unsupported.
Arch ovens allow the use of small bricks, block ovens need a large one-piece roof section which are a PITA to source, unless you have a blast furnace being refurbished locally and can get hold of some of their old liners.

---------- Post added at 11:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Have a look at this solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBod0FbXkA0

I love the way the guy formed a dome out of sand on which to lay the bricks for the domed section of the oven.
I would stay well clear of that oven if it was fired-up after a period of rain. The base/oven floor extends outside of the dome so could track water into the lining. That could cause steam explosions AFAIC!
Old 29-08-2014, 13:13   #7
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

thanks for the links guys, will check it out. will post pics when i start work on it.
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 19:03   #8
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
thanks for the links guys, will check it out. will post pics when i start work on it.
Hope you'll post us some samples too...
Old 29-08-2014, 20:14   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

I have a sudden desire to build another underground tandoor oven.
Old 29-08-2014, 20:34   #10
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Make mine a spicy meat feast
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 11:12   #11
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I have a sudden desire to build another underground tandoor oven.
I'd be interested in seeing that and tasting its output...

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Make mine a spicy meat feast
Extra chillies for me!
Old 04-09-2014, 20:46   #12
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Keep us updated with the build. Will be good to see some photos.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote