Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why do VM keep messing around with signal levels?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Why do VM keep messing around with signal levels?

Old 21-08-2014, 20:16   #1
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Why do VM keep messing around with signal levels?

Hi, any idea why VM feel the need to mess around continually with signal levels?

I keep my signal levels around 0-2dB and swap out a 6dB attenuator and a 3dB attenuator to keep them there depending on summer / winter because the signal levels change with temperature.

But was rather shocked to see a jump to 8dBmV 3 days ago. Which is a pretty big jump!

So had to stick the 6dB attenuator on top of the 3dB one to make 9dB attenuator as a stop gap and have ordered a 10dB attenuator.

Why did VM feel the need to increase the signal levels by 8dB? Id imagine that must of screwed up a good few customers connections if they was bordering high previously. It was working fine, so why boost them so much?
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2014, 20:31   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Why do VM keep messing around with signal levels?

My connection works the same if its -5 or +10 if its working just ignore the levels
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 22:58   #3
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
My connection works the same if its -5 or +10 if its working just ignore the levels
But if I didn't already have the 3dB attenuator on it, it would of jumped from within the acceptable range to 11dB which is outside of that range.

I always try to keep it within the 0-2dB range because for some reason I notice a difference when the signal levels are in a more optimal range.
Old 22-08-2014, 08:11   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
Hi, any idea why VM feel the need to mess around continually with signal levels?
They don't. As you say, an adjustment of 8dB in either direction would knock loads of devices offline - unless it was to fix a fault that had already knocked them off.

But as long as your service is working, don't worry about it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:11   #5
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point

indeed if they work dont worry about it, last year we could work with=in the range of +6 to -6, this year when we install its +3 to -3.

Only problem some faults get created or ur signal fluctuates is if an engineer goes in and takes ur cable of its port and puts someone else there cos there was no space just so he can get his levels, then sod anyone else they can have a fault call....
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 18:42   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

maybe you wont need your HDU anymore RB2004?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 12:17   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

One single isolated change is hardly "keep messing around with signal levels"
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 13:44   #8
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But if I didn't already have the 3dB attenuator on it, it would of jumped from within the acceptable range to 11dB which is outside of that range.

I always try to keep it within the 0-2dB range because for some reason I notice a difference when the signal levels are in a more optimal range.
Do you notice the difference before or after you look at the power levels on the modem?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 17:17   #9
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgey View Post
indeed if they work dont worry about it, last year we could work with=in the range of +6 to -6, this year when we install its +3 to -3.

Only problem some faults get created or ur signal fluctuates is if an engineer goes in and takes ur cable of its port and puts someone else there cos there was no space just so he can get his levels, then sod anyone else they can have a fault call....
I was advised to work with +10 -to -6
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 17:33   #10
RB2004
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
maybe you wont need your HDU anymore RB2004?
Probably don't, but after paying for it myself and struggling to find one, actually got 2 now lol a spare lying around, I left it connected and just stuck an attenuator on the device, because it allows me to have a stronger signal right up until the device because I have quite long cable runs from routing everything under floorboards and it doesn't attenuate the upstream like a splitter does and also I can attenuate different devices differently depending on cable length to get near perfect signal levels. So from a theoretical point of view it was better to leave it connected and attenuate at each device as I have the advantage of theoretically a stronger and cleaner signal with better SNR at each device than I would have without the HDU, as well as a lower attenuated return path. Not most practical way of doing it and not the way VM would do it but VM are worried about costs so supplying more equipment than necessary doesn't make financial sense to them, I'm sure it works perfectly fine outside of the perfect range but I'm a bit of a perfectionist at times and want things perfect so I get the best signal I can and in an ideal world better SNR is better SNR at the end of the day... Might work fine with a lower figure but behind the scenes maybe getting more transmission errors.
Old 24-08-2014, 20:12   #11
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Might work fine with a lower figure but behind the scenes maybe getting more transmission errors.
Not really, doesn't work that way. Once you get past a certain SNR even a lot extra makes very little difference indeed but obviously your call if this is how you like spending your time Sir.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 13:12   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Funny enough his SNR hasn't been quoted or referred to anywhere in this thread...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote