Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Site blocked despite using vpn

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Site blocked despite using vpn

Old 24-08-2014, 15:37   #31
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Site blocked despite using vpn

If it's only part of the link then it's not an IP transit service then
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-08-2014, 00:29   #32
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

You probably found the only VPN node of theirs that has that type of blocking.

Some VPN providers do block tpb.se and similar sites on nodes in a couple of countries that they operate, but not others. Different to the issue you was seeing though and im surprised a vm reseller data centre type place has the residential blocking stuff tbh.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 01:03   #33
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah it is a bit of a joke considering a major part of their marketing the product revolves around "accessing geographically restricted sites". I suppose they would argue though I need to use a vpn server in another country whether the restriction is no in effect just as they site examples of where stuff like twitter is blocked in China and BBC is blocked wherever (for some reason) and if you connect to a vpn server in the UK then you can access those sites).
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:05   #34
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Out of curiosity, does it mention this in their T's & C's? Would it be worth emailing them and asking why some sites are blocked?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:07   #35
Springy
cf.member

Springy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
yeah it is a bit of a joke considering a major part of their marketing the product revolves around "accessing geographically restricted sites". I suppose they would argue though I need to use a vpn server in another country whether the restriction is no in effect just as they site examples of where stuff like twitter is blocked in China and BBC is blocked wherever (for some reason) and if you connect to a vpn server in the UK then you can access those sites).
Hey I have Strong VPN as well.. I just connected to it using L2TP and it works fine... Not really sure why you cannot connect... Weirdness...
Springy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:17   #36
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

how very interesting. I set mine up to use sstp because it is more secure. I didn't see the point in using pptp or l2tp when it can be cracked and people can be nosey and see what I am up to. I'll defo give it a go though and see if it works.
Old 25-08-2014, 17:08   #37
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

I thought L2TP was quite secure.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 17:16   #38
General Maximus
Ran Away

afaik it is frowned upon these days. The preferred encryption methods are ikev2 and sstp. The only reason stuff like pptp and l2tp are still around is for compatibility with routers because everyone supports it.
Old 25-08-2014, 18:37   #39
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Use Opera and their turbo mode if you want to bypass the blockade

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 19:25   #40
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Doe's Strong VPN give unlimited bandwidth.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 19:26   #41
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

If you or any one else want to read up on different providers etc this is good place to start
http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-se...dition-140315/

I personally went with PrivateInternetAccess as it had good reviews and $39.95 which is just over £24 for a year. They also do a free trial so I tested it out before signing up and noticed I could get very good speeds using their services even using non uk exist to allow portforwarding.

Another good one I found on a trial is AirVPN it is a bit more expensive and at the time it didn't allow multiple devices connected at the same time which I found is very handy with PIA as trying to use my Asus rt-n66u router just takes to much of a hit in speed for my liking.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 21:49   #42
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
Doe's Strong VPN give unlimited bandwidth.
yup, no restrictions on speed or usage limits. Over the weekend I downloaded about 1TB and my speed maxed out around 14MB/sec which isn't bad.
Old 26-08-2014, 00:15   #43
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax215 View Post
Most likely is that the piratebay is being blocked on the vpn, I just checked mine and there both ok, try a differnt vpn. ghost vpn is quite good.
Got through to Pirate Bay using BTGuard. I don't intend to use PB either. There may be something wrong with your VPN set up. BTGuard uses offshore servers. Would that make a difference?
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 07:01   #44
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
afaik it is frowned upon these days. The preferred encryption methods are ikev2 and sstp. The only reason stuff like pptp and l2tp are still around is for compatibility with routers because everyone supports it.
No, L2TP is still the gold standard for enterprise. Practically nobody except Microsoft uses IKE or SSTP.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote