Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Accidentally cut a black cable!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Accidentally cut a black cable!!

Old 21-08-2014, 11:53   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Accidentally cut a black cable!!

I had to do it in my garden. I ran an electric cable from my hours to the middle of the garden to power a pump for a fountain and it was made crystal clear that it had to be a certain depth and I had to buy a special yellow plastic stuff like clingfilm to lie above it covering the width of the trench so if anybody digs down that deep they hopefully see it before they cut the cable.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2014, 12:08   #17
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

If you're going to get a virgin install, just order it, plead ignorance when/if the engineer says anything, they'll fix as part of the install. Shhh...
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:57   #18
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Electric cable has different regulations than a virgin cable
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:57   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I had to do it in my garden. I ran an electric cable from my hours to the middle of the garden to power a pump for a fountain and it was made crystal clear that it had to be a certain depth and I had to buy a special yellow plastic stuff like clingfilm to lie above it covering the width of the trench so if anybody digs down that deep they hopefully see it before they cut the cable.
I suspect that has more to do with the presence of mains electricity than preventing damage to a cable. If you put a spade through a mains cable, you may well be killed. If you put a spade through a virgin media cable, you probably won't.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 13:09   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

oh, I just assumed it was a standard practise for any type of cabling you lay when you are doing construction/building work. It makes sense all round.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 14:18   #21
New comer
Inactive

New comer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all, this is very helpful.
New comer is offline   Reply With Quote