Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 150mbps actual wireless speeds?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

150mbps actual wireless speeds?

Old 09-10-2014, 19:27   #61
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: 150mbps actual wireless speeds?

what is it about the information you are not happy with? Qas has obviously done the research and told you that your wireless adapter in your laptop can't handle more than 50mbits so it is obviously the limiting factor. You can have a 1gbit connection and the best router in the world and you'll still get the same speed. Maybe you need to read more and understand the equipment you are using before you start insulting people who take the time to respond to your posts.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2014, 19:30   #62
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
We're 'F**K WITS' because you were getting 71Mbps on a 60meg service (which is impossible)?
LOLOL
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:32   #63
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
what is it about the information you are not happy with? Qas has obviously done the research and told you that your wireless adapter in your laptop can't handle more than 50mbits so it is obviously the limiting factor.
To be fair I said under 'standard conditions', it can handle more but not without changing the default settings on both the Superhub and the wireless card, and in most environments even this would only work when forcing the devices operating in violation of wifi standards.

Course he specifically asked for a reply without a 'load of technobabble' so I deliberately simplified it and left out any complex explanation of 802.11n HT interoperability and coexistence protocols.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:38   #64
Gtimers
Permanently Banned

Gtimers can only hope to improve

gas obviously confusing everyone..
2.4ghz single stream N 150mbps.. £2 on ebay using DEC and LLQ decimal you cant go wrong
Gtimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:39   #65
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Maybe he wanted it really basic:

YOUR WIRELESS CARD IS CARP
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:45   #66
Gtimers
Permanently Banned

Gtimers can only hope to improve

lol...
he is using a 802.11a with half a stream on a 512k internet connection
Gtimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 19:48   #67
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Maybe he wanted it really basic: YOUR WIRELESS CARD IS CARP
But he doubts the laptop is the problem because he was getting 71 out of 66meg before!
Old 10-10-2014, 20:48   #68
)3az )3aziah
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV Virgin Phone Virgin 10meg (20meg ?)
)3az )3aziah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Maybe he wanted it really basic:

YOUR WIRELESS CARD IS CARP
That is more like it. Honest, direct and babble free. Thats all I wanted to read and can now go on and get it upgraded.

What I objected to and what was not required was the Telford references.

Having checked with VM, my service was upgraded to 100meg as part of their upgrade policy at the end of July without them telling me so. Hence I was blissfully unaware of the speed increase.

Jim
)3az )3aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:26   #69
ravenstar68
Inactive

ravenstar68 is on a distinguished roadravenstar68 is on a distinguished road

Actually looking at your upload, I'd say you were on al least 120Mb/s when you did that speedtest, as that upload was only available on 120Mb/s and above.

Ravenstar68
ravenstar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 01:00   #70
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Remember what the three 2.4GHz speeds on the SH2 do.
1. 54 - this is b/g only, and you would only want to set this if all your kit is 802.11g or worse.
2. 144 - this is dual stream 20MHz channel - and needs an N300 adapter to do "up to 144" - on a N150 single stream adapter, it's 72 maximum - this is the default mode!
3. 300 - this is 40MHz channel mode, offering up to 150 on an N150 adapter common in most laptops.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 12:15   #71
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
2. 144 - this is dual stream 20MHz channel - and needs an N300 adapter to do "up to 144" - on a N150 single stream adapter, it's 72 maximum - this is the default mode!
I should point out this default is there for a reason, and is required for the device to be WiFi certified.
Quote:
3. 300 - this is 40MHz channel mode, offering up to 150 on an N150 adapter common in most laptops.
I should also point out compliant devices will automatically switch off 40Mhz mode when it detects overlapping neighbours. Forcing it on only works with 'naughty' devices.
Old 15-10-2014, 14:27   #72
)3az )3aziah
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV Virgin Phone Virgin 10meg (20meg ?)
)3az )3aziah is an unknown quantity at this point

OK folks, I'm getting some of this but not all.
As it stands I know my laptop has:
AMD A6 processor
4gb RAM
1Tb HD
Windows 8.1
Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG wireless adapter

I realise that the wireless adapter is limiting my connection speeds.

If I wanted to improve my speed, what changes would you suggest I make to it? I get from previous replies that the wireless adapter is the cause so what would you suggest I get it replaced with?

Also are there any recommended settings I should use on my superhub to improve its performance?

Jim
)3az )3aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 14:50   #73
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I would buy an external ireless adaptor and switch the internal one off. I would not upgrade the internal wireless card because you'll not have optimal antennae in the laptop.

For the same purpose I bought an ASUS USB-AC56 which, if your laptop has it, is USB 3 enabled. If you don't want/need AC capability, there is the ASUS USB-N66 which I also have for another laptop.

HTH.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote