Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New 3G tablet advice please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New 3G tablet advice please

Old 01-08-2014, 13:48   #1
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
New 3G tablet advice please

Osem Jnr #2 needs a new tablet and we're looking at a 3g Lenovo Yoga 8 inch as shown here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-8-inc..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t

He'll need something with Wi-Fi and mobile internet access via 3G but I'm wondering how best to achieve the latter and what the above tablet will allow.

I have an old tablet which takes a standard Virgin PAYG mobile phone sim and allows me to make calls and access the internet when away from home at a cost of 5 for 1gb of data. I simply buy the data as and when I need it and the 5 comes out of the airtime balance on the SIM. We'd like something similar for him so he can access the web when we're out and about. There's no need for a call facility but if that was possible too (as on my tablet) it'd be a bonus.

I believe the Lenovo above uses a micro SIM so would we be able to get a normal PAYG SIM from Virgin in micro form (or change an existing Virgin SIM for one of them) for this purpose or would we need one of those specific data SIMs they sell which gives a fixed amount of data for a set period of time at a set price?

TIA as always
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2014, 17:04   #2
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: New 3G tablet advice please

After a lot of searching around I think I've found that the above tablet isn't suitable for our requirements because the 3G version does not support calls etc. and utilises a Data only SIM.

The search continues therefore...
Old 03-08-2014, 02:14   #3
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

One that springs to mind is: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/tab...fonepad_020714 the Asus phonepad - with calls on a 7" tab, it should satisfy those tariffs that are only available on "phones" - Three's PAYG321 would cost £5 per 500MB actually used (at 1p/MB) which may or may not be better than paying £5 for 1Gb that presumably last a month only (used or not) - and that's only available for devices that are not data only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-039-039-...p2054897.l4275
A cheap phablet
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:46   #4
Osem
Inactive

Thanks for the reply.

He's got a virgin SIM so can get £5 per gb data on that.

The wife's got a Prestigio tablet which does what we want. It's a bit cheaper than the Lenovo too but so if we can get another we might go down that route. I hadn't realised that most 3G tablets don't do calls etc.