Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help setting series link on Tivo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Help setting series link on Tivo

Old 30-07-2014, 19:48   #1
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough
Help setting series link on Tivo

Hi everyone - Just cancelled Sky and from now on my sole Pay TV recordings will be via Tivo. I'm having problems with Tivo recording the same show twice. On the Sky box if want to set a recording for a program which is a repeat of one shown earlier [eg. Matrioshki on Sky Arts 1 tonight, first at 10:15pm then at 2:00am], I can set series record for the 2am show and no attempt is made to record the earlier version - this will now record at app 2am each Thurs morning. Setting the same series link on Tivo [New only] wants to record both versions.

I very much prefer to record in the middle of the night where possible as this reduces the risks of interrupting something I'm watching (even with 3 tuners) - this happens often in the football season if I'm watching a game and recording 2 shows at, say 9pm and another at 8pm. Because of time buffers at 8:59 I'm watching 1 and recording 1 (until 9:04pm), and then get a message telling me to cancel recording/stop watching etc.

Its likely my poor understanding of how to set series recordings on the Tivo but I know it will drive me mad if I don't get this sorted in the next couple of weeks.Any advice is most welcome. Thanks
tassiekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2014, 20:09   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Help setting series link on Tivo

TiVo records the earliest possible showing if it has a tuner free. So go into Manage My Series Links and move Matrioshki to the bottom of the list. This will make it the lowest priority recording, so anything clashing will take precedence. Also to reduce the chances of clash messages, go into recording settings, and change Overlap Protection to "cancel lower priority show".

(But if you really do want to force it to record the later showing regardless, you can do this with a Manual Recording)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 20:43   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

There is a problem with the info on Matrioski as it shouldn't be doing what you describe. I just setup a series and records as you describe ( I have record New and re-runs). The information that TiVo has is wrong and should be reported to VM.

I think there is somewhere on the VM support forum under Tivo where you can report errors.

Just to confirm it will always record the earliest available showing.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 21:15   #4
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Thank you both, I'll try your suggestion Spiderplant although I won't be using manual recording because the times seem to jump about a bit from week to week and I'd be too slack to check every week. I've had Tivo for a while but mainly used the Sky box for recording as I was able to (easily) set recordings for overnight and also queue recordings for export to a PC - something I'm going to miss but 67pm buys a lot of box sets!!

Thanks again.
Old 30-07-2014, 23:06   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

arcimedes is quite right. The metadata is wrong and so it will record some duplicate episodes.

If you want to report it, see:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...rs/td-p/963263
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 23:29   #6
tassiekev
Inactive

Thanks, I checked your suggestions and Matrioshki is already last on my recording priorities and the checkbox for 'clip lower priority' is already checked so yes, the metadata is incorrect and I've reported it.

Many thanks again for taking the time to help.