Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | broken asus notebook need to get docs off

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

broken asus notebook need to get docs off

Old 28-07-2014, 10:25   #1
sequin01
Inactive

sequin01 is an unknown quantity at this point
broken asus notebook need to get docs off

my daughters Asus ee pc has died - when you turn it on it goes to the BIOS settings page and we cannot get it to come out of this

she has bought a new laptop ready for university. she says that she saved some things on the Asus to the "cloud". anyone got any idea which cloud storage this would be?

she has a gmail account so I tried setting up the google docs on her new laptop to see if they were stored there but nothing showing up

I've been on the Asus webpage - not much help it says there is an Asus webstore - tried putting this onto the laptop but then it asked for login details and she says she never set up an account

help is there any way we can get her docs back ?
sequin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2014, 11:04   #2
Babu
Inactive

Services: Sky TV BT Fibre Broadband
Babu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enoughBabu will become famous soon enough
Re: broken asus notebook need to get docs off

You could try to remove the hard drive from the PC and use a SATA/IDE to USB cable to see if you could access files on the drive.

A suitable cable like this would do.
Babu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:12   #3
sequin01
Inactive

hi, thanks for that. Is it easy to remove a hard-drive from a notebook pc?
never tried and not very tech-savy but as it seems to be dead anyway I'll give it a try
Old 28-07-2014, 13:41   #4
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

I would try finding a solution through Google before taking it apart.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 14:20   #5
sequin01
Inactive

yeah going to do a bit more Googling later
I think the hard drive may have failed as when it turns on and goes to the Bios set up there is nothing showing in the section about Booting - i.e. doesn't give any options where to boot from - I put a USB stick in just to see what happened and it wanted to boot from that
Old 28-07-2014, 20:44   #6
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequin01 View Post
...anyone got any idea which cloud storage this would be?
I can't work out if this is a wind up or not. sequin01 - you have the choice of thousands of cloud storage providers!

You could ask the daughter again if she knows which one she signed up with - then it'll be easy...
Old 28-07-2014, 22:10   #7
sequin01
Inactive

Not a wind up honest!
She can't remember. Just thought someone might know as maybe theres a default one on an Asus? She doesn't remember signing up to one says it was just an option when saving docs to save to cloud and as I said above I've tried the google one as thought that most likely but there was nothing saved there. Just glad it died after her A levels and not half way through !
Old 28-07-2014, 23:10   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequin01 View Post
Just thought someone might know as maybe theres a default one on an Asus?
No.
Quote:
She doesn't remember signing up to one says it was just an option when saving docs to save to cloud and as I said above I've tried the google one as thought that most likely but there was nothing saved there. Just glad it died after her A levels and not half way through !
Saving what docs? From what program?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 23:28   #9
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

It was probably asus webstorage?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote