Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wired speed 50MB, WiFi speed 10MB

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wired speed 50MB, WiFi speed 10MB

Old 25-07-2014, 20:00   #16
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Wired speed 50MB, WiFi speed 10MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Personally, I get the full speed, around 54Mb, on both my iPad on the 5GHz band and my PC on the 2.4GHz band.
With two walls and rooms in the way?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2014, 21:59   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

I get a solid 90Mbit+ on my Note 3 via 5Ghz when I'm upstairs (Router is downstairs). Wireless-N.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 05:26   #18
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

So you have a floor in the way? Not quite the same as two walls, the latter involving the signal going through 20 times thicker material.
Old 27-07-2014, 14:35   #19
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

If you have a smartphone download the the app "Wifi Analyzer", I use this on my android phone and it tells me what channels are being used by my neighbours, it also will tell the the best one to use.

Another option is to buy a separate Router, I own the Asus RT-N66U which I have been able to hit 124Mb on my 120Mb connection.
Old 27-07-2014, 16:53   #20
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
So you have a floor in the way? Not quite the same as two walls, the latter involving the signal going through 20 times thicker material.
I'm not trying to claim that it is, just offering similarly anecodtal advice for those interested in what kind of performance they can expect.

Mind you, the router sits beside a fireplace and the room upstairs is on the other side of said fireplace, so it's not quite just a floor, either.
Old 27-07-2014, 18:35   #21
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Well that's slightly more of a challenge. But regardless Wifi is known to degrade rapidly over distance if walls are in the way, though everyone's mileage will vary depending on local conditions. One wall or floor is easy, even a router missing its antennae can deliver through that. However I find that two walls (and a requisite room in between) is pretty much the limit of reasonable usability in most deployments. Once you get to three typical walls and two rooms you're looking at slow/intermittent signal at best. But again that all varies according to equipment and local conditions. Annoyingly I find my mobile phone maintains the same performance at twice the distance compared to my flatmate's phones and laptops.
Old 27-07-2014, 19:12   #22
Kushan

Yeah, it's entirely variable and depends on so many factors that it's impossible to say. Everyone has different walls, different floors, different equipment, different levels of interference.