Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor contrast / black levels from V+ (Samsung) box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Poor contrast / black levels from V+ (Samsung) box

Old 22-04-2014, 11:18   #1
HowardCanning
Inactive

Services: 50MB internet, V+ box etc
HowardCanning is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor contrast / black levels from V+ (Samsung) box

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this...

Since I upgraded my TV (Panasonic TX-L50E6B) I've noticed that the image quality from my V+ box isn't anywhere as near as "good" as it is from my Bluray or media PC. In particular, the black levels seem massively lacking.

I've attached a picture which hopefully shows what I mean; in the 'home' screen you can see that the black background is actually dark grey, compared to the 'actual' black from the TV's menu which I have opened for comparison. Even on 'black' screens when watching TV content, there is a severe lack of contrast and deep blacks.

Is there anything I can do to mitigate this, without adjusting TV settings (I've got them nicely optimised for viewing on the other devices), or is it just a limitation of the V+ box? It's a Samsung unit, not TiVo or anything.

It's all running through my AV amp and passing through to the TV; I'm not changing inputs on the TV.

Hope this makes sense?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-04-21 15.49.21.jpg (485.8 KB, 26 views)
HowardCanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-04-2014, 13:40   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Poor contrast / black levels from V+ (Samsung) box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardCanning View Post
in the 'home' screen you can see that the black background is actually dark grey
That's because the background IS actually dark grey. It's defined as #161616 in the HTML. Absolute black (and other extremes) can cause problems with some TVs so it is deliberately avoided.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 13:54   #3
HowardCanning
Inactive

Services: 50MB internet, V+ box etc
HowardCanning is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting.. I'd never have put that as the cause!

Even blank screens look a lot more "grey" than they should be though... It makes it look like I've got the backlight turned right up.

I take it there's nothing I can do but accept it then? I've not noticed it on the TV in our lounge...
HowardCanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 15:19   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Nothing you can do if you don't want to alter the TV settings specifically for the V+. I imagine the TV manufacturer can use a blacker black themselves because they don't need to ensure compatibility with other screens.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 12:32   #5
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Many new TVs have some very complicated setup options which can completely change the picture quality.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/beyond-basic-tv-settings/
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote