Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

Old 14-04-2014, 10:17   #1
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts
Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

It appears virgin media's email service has changed its look overnight and is now the same design as what gmail is
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2014, 11:50   #2
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

Personally I wouldn't bother using an ISP's email service - it makes it that much harder to leave if you need/want to. I mean, why use Virgin's email that's just like gmail when you can just use gmail?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 11:52   #3
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Agreed. The last ISP email i used was btinternet years ago when on 8mb, they binned it about 6 months after leaving them so have been with gmail ever since.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 12:36   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Agreed. The last ISP email i used was btinternet years ago when on 8mb, they binned it about 6 months after leaving them so have been with gmail ever since.
Not used an ISP's email service since NTL took over Cable and Wireless and announced they would not be porting the email for some accounts over. Mine was one of the ones not ported.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 17:15   #5
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Not used an ISP's email service since NTL took over Cable and Wireless and announced they would not be porting the email for some accounts over. Mine was one of the ones not ported.
When they migrated to gmail, more than a few accounts lost all of their emails and a few ended up in the hands of different people. It was a cluster**** to say the least.
Old 14-04-2014, 18:10   #6
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

It's not a problem..I use my Gmail account more than my VM one so it's just as easy to deal with.
Old 16-04-2014, 22:36   #7
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

I use Thunderbird normally so I don't often use the web page, but I don't remember it looking any different.

In what way has it changed then?
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 10:47   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There was an advert banner and web search box at the top. These have now gone
Old 17-04-2014, 15:17   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I stopped using ISP email more than 10 years ago thanks to NTLWorld and its notoriously flaky service. One of the recurring complaints back in the days of the original Nthellworld.com was the email, and the standard response was that we shouldn't expect the email to work because it was a free 'extra' (despite being listed as one of the benefits under the headline £25 per month or whatever it was at the time).

I got myself a free mac.com email address, stuck with it when they started charging for it, and still have it now it's free again. . I have changed ISP twice since my first broadband with NTL but I have never since had to notify anyone of a change of email address.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 16:26   #10
StevenNT
cf.addict

Services: 500Mb Hyperoptic, Sky Signature with HD, UHD and Ultimate On Demand
StevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about themStevenNT has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I stopped using ISP email more than 10 years ago thanks to NTLWorld and its notoriously flaky service. One of the recurring complaints back in the days of the original Nthellworld.com was the email, and the standard response was that we shouldn't expect the email to work because it was a free 'extra' (despite being listed as one of the benefits under the headline £25 per month or whatever it was at the time).
I did the same kind of thing, I bought my own domain and used that as my e-mail with a domain provider and 4 years ago migrated the mail to Google Apps and imported the mail into the Gmail inbox.

I certainly don't miss NTL's old mail "system" which hardly worked and glad they finally binned it.
StevenNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 16:42   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I never had an issue with flakiness but learned the hard way about lack of portability of ISP email addresses, if you depend on them for everything you lose them when you change ISP - if you were to move somewhere where VM isn't available even trying to stay with the same ISP wouldn't help.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 17:08   #12
Kushan

I believe OFCOM is investigating email migration as part of an ISP shakeup, but it's probably still a ways off.
Old 17-04-2014, 23:14   #13
Springy
cf.member

Springy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is good, using the Google Apps look instead of mucking around with it.
Springy is offline   Reply With Quote