Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo locking up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo locking up

Old 27-02-2014, 15:38   #1
Timbo7
cf.member

Timbo7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo locking up

Every so often when carrying out a task on the Tivo menu the machine seems to lock up with just the whirly circle being displayed on screen.

The only way to get back to the menu is to either press the reset button on the Tivo machine or unplug the device for a few seconds and let it boot up again.

The downside being you lose any portion of programmes you may be recording at the time.

Is this a known problem with any other users ??
Timbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2014, 04:48   #2
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack
Re: Tivo locking up

I've had this on several occasions recently. Also skipping and jumping of live and recorded items. I was worried my hard drive was failing until I looked further into network connections. Often when this has been happening it's while the Tivo is in the process of connecting to the network. When it's happened on recordings if I look at the last connection it's often at the time the recording took place.

Very frustrating it's only been the last few weeks. I also note that my Tivo is now connecting about every 5-6 hours instead of just one or twice a day. This new schedule means with the amount I record it's likely to happen a lot

I'm tempted to swap the two boxes around to see if the other box is better. This one has been used far more, but I have several series on it I haven't worked through so really don't want to trade it for a new one if it can be avoided
Old 04-03-2014, 00:36   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo7 View Post
Is this a known problem with any other users ??
Yes, it's a known software issue, and is due to be fixed in the next update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post
Also skipping and jumping of live and recorded items. I was worried my hard drive was failing until I looked further into network connections. Often when this has been happening it's while the Tivo is in the process of connecting to the network. When it's happened on recordings if I look at the last connection it's often at the time the recording took place.
Ditto!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26   #4
Timbo7
cf.member

Timbo7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the confirmation Spiderplant, good to know it's not a problem with my Tivo box.
Timbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:32   #5
savvychels
cf.geek

savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Yes, it's a known software issue, and is due to be fixed in the next update.

Ditto!
Thanks for confirming it's a known issue with a fix coming.

I disappear from here for months at a time, but whenever I show back up I see you're helpful as ever. I do hope the members appreciate you. I know I do
Old 19-08-2014, 23:57   #6
savvychels
cf.geek

Just wondering if there's a time coming for this fix. I'm still experiencing both of these issues - freezing up /hanging completely when trying to set a recording about once a week or so (red circle of death), and daily when the network connection happens either stopping and starting if watching live or a recording, and if watching a recording where it happened during it, pixelating and missing huge gaps.

For a lot of the time it wasn't so bad as it mostly connected outside of recording times, but since the last update a couple of weeks ago it now connects just before 11pm and a lot of my recordings are 10-11pm. Which means I have to go hunting and hope they are repeated or on catch up.

I could live with it for a while when it seemed VM were aware and a fix would be rolled out, but this post was made in Feb/march and it's now August and nothing seems to have changed
Old 20-08-2014, 08:50   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The update is planned for release in the autumn.

If you have back-to-back recordings on the same channel, try moving one of the Series Links to a different channel (SD/HD/AD/+1). That will reduce the incidence of the second problem. If there is no alternative channel you can use, set the end padding of the first recording and the start padding of the second recording to 0 minutes instead, so that there is no overlap between the two recordings.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 20:15   #8
savvychels
cf.geek

Great thanks as always! I don't use padding at all since it doesn't drop like V+ used to. It happens when there is a network connection in progress no matter whether I'm watching or recording, but often I have 2-3 tuners recording during that time once or twice a week. It's only become really annoying since the time of the network connection has recently changed so happening more often during recordings.

Thanks for replying with a status update, and I'll look forward to it being resolved.