Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | This SHOULD NOT be happening [Foodbank Need]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

This SHOULD NOT be happening [Foodbank Need]

Old 18-04-2014, 22:30   #121
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: This SHOULD NOT be happening [Foodbank Need]

Some are very quick to jump to conclusions. I've read my last post a couple of times now and can't quite see where I accused anybody by name of anything. All I can put the responses I've received down to are some people must know they spend their days spouting rubbish, then now and again a post comes along that touches a raw nerve and makes them feel daft - after all they're so entrenched what can they do? Why else would they feel the need to launch such personal attacks? I realised many years ago, when people loose a discussion/arguement they quite quickly resort to name calling. Human nature hasn't let me down here. I can imagine flushed faces and pulsing veins as the insults were typed.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the easter break.

Oh and doesn't it just get under your skin when the guy in the right doesn't care about the insults!!!

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2014, 23:00   #122
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
OK, there are two main themes running through this thread.
  1. Pick on Arthur for speaking his mind
  2. Negativity towards the people who claim benefits and use foodbanks.
It also saddens me that you can use such a strong word to describe so many people you don't know, have never met and will never meet. I'm afraid attitudes like that are a big part of what's wrong in the world today. Too many people are scared of (and so dislike) what they don't understand.

When it comes to tarring the poor, my comments weren't necessarily aimed at you, but I must of hit a raw nerve for you to feel they were. If however, you look back through your posting history there is a pretty consistent negative slant towards benefit claimants.

Cheers

Grim
There you go again. Exactly who have I referred to? I've specifically refererred to that proportion of people who cheat/abuse the system. BY definition, therefore, I am NOT referring to all those who are genuinely in need. Not only that but I have specifically EXCLUDED them from any criticism, stated that I begrudge them nothing and even pointed out that the cheats make life much harder for and take away resources from the genuine. Now I don't really understand why you can't seem to grasp or accept that quite simple concept but I've now just clarified it again for you.

IMHO people who cheat/abuse the benefits system are despicable but that is NOT the same as saying everyone on benefits is a cheat is it? It's NOT even the same as saying most people on benefits are cheats. It IS the same as saying SOME people cheat and abuse the system, however, and IMHO these people need to be dealt with. So what's your problem with the idea of removing the cheats and giving more help to the needy?

You say your comments "weren't necessarily" aimed at me, well either they were or they weren't so how about making your mind up and clarifying to avoid any confusion then? As the parent of a severely disabled child, I probably have far more reason than you to want to see a fair benefits system in which much needed resources aren't lost to those who cheat the system. If that isn't the case then you have my sympathy.

As for hitting a raw nerve - the only nerve you hit was my dislike for people misrepresenting what I've written.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 23:17   #123
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Some are very quick to jump to conclusions. I've read my last post a couple of times now and can't quite see where I accused anybody by name of anything. All I can put the responses I've received down to are some people must know they spend their days spouting rubbish, then now and again a post comes along that touches a raw nerve and makes them feel daft - after all they're so entrenched what can they do? Why else would they feel the need to launch such personal attacks? I realised many years ago, when people loose a discussion/arguement they quite quickly resort to name calling. Human nature hasn't let me down here. I can imagine flushed faces and pulsing veins as the insults were typed.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of the easter break.

Oh and doesn't it just get under your skin when the guy in the right doesn't care about the insults!!!

Cheers

Grim
right here ,post 104 opening line

Quote:
As usual plenty of people on here seem happy to jump on the bandwagon and have a go at the poorest and most vulnerable sections of society. Kick the little guy while he's down. Not once have I heard any of you suggest that we should be putting in as much effort to increase the amount of income the government receives (raise taxes or even collect what’s owed).
Quite where anyone has done that is a mystery so perhaps you could quote some examples or post a retraction and an apology
Old 18-04-2014, 23:20   #124
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Quite where anyone has done that is a mystery so perhaps you could quote some examples or post a retraction and an apology
We're a forum debating rubbish.
not in government debating rubbish.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 01:29   #125
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Know this.

Internets rule no:6

The use of CAPITALS and bold (or any combination thereof) make otherwise ill informed and prejudicial arguments "right" in the minds of those positing said arguments.

FACT.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 07:06   #126
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Back on-topic.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 07:36   #127
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Food banks see donations surge after being criticised by Mail on Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...st-mail-sunday

It's heartening to see that there are still many in this country who have compassion and humanity to donate to such a important service in these times of deep austerity and as for " The Mail " well what else can you expect from a paper which seems to have a twisted logic that everybody using food banks must be a scrounger.
Old 21-04-2014, 09:43   #128
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Food banks see donations surge after being criticised by Mail on Sunday.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...st-mail-sunday

It's heartening to see that there are still many in this country who have compassion and humanity to donate to such a important service in these times of deep austerity and as for " The Mail " well what else can you expect from a paper which seems to have a twisted logic that everybody using food banks must be a scrounger.
That isn't what they said though is it .Normally i don't accept what the Mail say until it has been verified but in this case it is so blindingly obvious that some people are taking advantage of foodbanks that it requires little verification ,they have only confirmed what many people have suspected for a while now
Old 21-04-2014, 10:05   #129
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Stating that everyone using food banks is a scrounger is about as ridiculous as stating that everyone using them is genuinely needy and incapable of better looking after themselves. As usual, the truth is somewhere in between. Many people deserve the help food banks provide and I dare say that (amongst other things) the increase in numbers using them is in part due to benefit cuts and in part due to the increased publicity surrounding them. However, for anyone to deny that a proportion of users abuse the system is patent nonsense as is trying to demonise anyone who raises concerns about the abuse of our welfare system.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote