Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Kelly group

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Kelly group

Old 28-12-2012, 17:09   #31
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Re: Kelly group

I have been told and seen the work of Kelly Engineers, and it appalling, A very good friend of mine that l recommended, had Kelly's out and what l saw was a total disgrace.

Instead of running the cable under the ground or in a hose running by the house, they ran the cable from the street box into the house via the grass hedge, over the hedge, along the wall into a small box on the wall, then ran the cable under the carpet to the box under the tv.

The woman was given SIX MONTH free Tv, after she threatened top go to Sky.

Kelly are a nightmare.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2012, 20:52   #32
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I have been told and seen the work of Kelly Engineers, and it appalling, A very good friend of mine that l recommended, had Kelly's out and what l saw was a total disgrace.

Instead of running the cable under the ground or in a hose running by the house, they ran the cable from the street box into the house via the grass hedge, over the hedge, along the wall into a small box on the wall, then ran the cable under the carpet to the box under the tv.

The woman was given SIX MONTH free Tv, after she threatened top go to Sky.

Kelly are a nightmare.
I think these contractors are pretty much all the same, I started digging in my partners back garden and put the spade through the coax. It was no more than 6 inches below the ground and I was unlucky enough to find a part without any duct. (The coax was directly in the earth) I also exposed the cable, again not in a duct as it entered the property and a few inches under the earth. In that location there was the remains of a brick wall in the ground and the installer had drilled through the wall at an angle to feed through the cable

I notice the next door neighbours installation is not much better, they have cable tied the green duct to the top of the wire fence.

If costs are driven down to rock bottom this is the sort of workmanship to expect.
Old 28-12-2012, 21:07   #33
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Regarding contractors and burying of cables... I also don't like how shallow the cables are buried, so when I had my 2nd drop cable pulled... The team left it coiled up on the side of the pavement, ready for next team... So over the weekend I dug a 12" deep trench, installed some 40mm PVC pipe and used solvent weld fittings, pulled the cables through myself and connected everything up inside the brown box outside.

Then Monday morning when the engineer came to fix my telephone (because cable pulling team damaged phone wire) I got him to connect everything in the pit end.

Few days later 1 afternoon a 2 man team turned up, to bury and connect the cable... But I told them it was already done, and they openly admitted they wasn't gonna bury it more than 6" if that.. So I sent them away, they wasn't exactly happy though.

But what who's fault is that? If these contractors can't even be bothered to do the job properly and admit that to me, then get annoyed because the job had actually been done properly?

Electrical regulations state cables should be buried to a minimum of 12", while coax doesn't apply to those rules I still see no reason why the same rules on depth can't be applied as good practice if nothing else.

6" or less is not sufficient.. And asking to be damaged by a stray spade.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 10:46   #34
deafmishka
Inactive

deafmishka is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: Kelly group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapee View Post
I think these contractors are pretty much all the same, I started digging in my partners back garden and put the spade through the coax. It was no more than 6 inches below the ground and I was unlucky enough to find a part without any duct. (The coax was directly in the earth) I also exposed the cable, again not in a duct as it entered the property and a few inches under the earth. In that location there was the remains of a brick wall in the ground and the installer had drilled through the wall at an angle to feed through the cable

I notice the next door neighbours installation is not much better, they have cable tied the green duct to the top of the wire fence.

If costs are driven down to rock bottom this is the sort of workmanship to expect.
This is one reason I left after being in the Telecoms industry since 1987 as a private telecoms engineer I took a job with Kellys after I came back from 7 years abroad installing cat 5 and wireless. The standards of work is embarrassing and the managers sanction it. The big problem with kellys is they employ any body on the so called training course there was a lock smith, a tree surgeon, 2 x ex retail assistant managers and so forth, people with no experience and after a 9 day course are BT Open reach accredited, they then go into the real world of telecoms and have no idea and no body really gives a $h!t. there is also no support for these guys (who like us all just want a job) except get the job done.
deafmishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 19:07   #35
judgey
Inactive

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point

after training do they not shadow an engineer for a few weeks at least ?
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:56   #36
deafmishka
Inactive

deafmishka is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgey View Post
after training do they not shadow an engineer for a few weeks at least ?
That is the idea, but in the past its 1 week shadow and then out into the real world, i had no choice as they could not even sort out a phone for the first three weeks and after one week put me on price work where I had no phone to down load jobs I made 75 pound in one week. When I asked who had put me on price work Kelly management stuck there heads in the sand and as usual no body could answer the questions of who put me on price work. Even Kelly pay role could not answer the question your just given another number to ring.
Terrible company and badly disorganised.
As I said before most new recruits have no idea of Telecom work god help BT.
deafmishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 16:21   #37
scott buckley 28
Inactive

scott buckley 28 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone i have and assesment day for kelly group for a trainee residential telecoms engineer. dose anyone know what this involves and is it hard?
scott buckley 28 is offline   Reply With Quote