Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poppy Appeal 2011.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Poppy Appeal 2011.

Old 03-11-2011, 23:29   #31
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: Poppy Appeal 2011.

This is one of the best poems that I like.

Quote:
Dulce et decorum est

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on , blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of tried, outstripped Five-Nines that dropped behind.

Gas! GAS! Quick, boys!--An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling,
And flound'ring like a man in fire or lime . . .
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light,
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.
http://www.warpoetry.co.uk/owen1.html
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2011, 23:36   #32
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

In recent years I've removed my 'Help for Heroes' band, held it gently in my hand and had quiet solitary thoughts, on the 11th hour.
I'll make a donation but I don't need a poppy that falls to pieces under my coat to show the rest of the world anything.
It's the thoughts and memories, and funding the cause, that matter to me.

Before that it was being quiet and still and wearing my poppy.
Caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 23:42   #33
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
In recent years I've removed my 'Help for Heroes' band, held it gently in my hand and had quiet solitary thoughts, on the 11th hour.
I'll make a donation but I don't need a poppy that falls to pieces under my coat to show the rest of the world anything.
It's the thoughts and memories, and funding the cause, that matter to me.
I do not hope that I have to rely on Help for Hero's for my nephew, He is due to go out to Afghanistan soon. I always have a poppy from the first day of sale and now making the 9 year old to have one after telling him why we all should wear one.

Another poem that I have thought of. Very short.

Quote:

HERE DEAD WE LIE
Here dead we lie
Because we did not choose
To live and shame the land
From which we sprung.
Life, to be sure,
Is nothing much to lose,
But young men think it is,
And we were young.

A E Housman
Old 03-11-2011, 23:51   #34
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
I do not hope that I have to rely on Help for Hero's for my nephew, He is due to go out to Afghanistan soon. I always have a poppy from the first day of sale and now making the 9 year old to have one after telling him why we all should wear one.

Many, MANY go out to serve and come back fine over and over again.
I hope your young 'un understands the cause. Try keeping 300-700 primary school children, in the playground,quiet and still for 2 minutes, during morning playtime! They all do though.
Old 04-11-2011, 00:06   #35
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
Many, MANY go out to serve and come back fine over and over again.
There is still that thought at the back of the brain?

Quote:
I hope your young 'un understands the cause. Try keeping 300-700 primary school children, in the playground,quiet and still for 2 minutes, during morning playtime! They all do though.
Yes I understand what you mean and also the school are taking my son's class down to the cenotaph in Barnsley on the 14th.
Old 04-11-2011, 00:36   #36
Caff
I'm a geek???

Quote:
There is still that thought at the back of the brain?

Yes I understand what you mean and also the school are taking my son's class down to the cenotaph in Barnsley on the 14th.
It's very VERY likely that your nephew will return after his tour with shorter hair than he used to have and with lots of tales to tell. And a tan.
Be ready for the 'toilet' humour and the scares.

Be yourself when he does.
He will be hisself
Oh! and join him for his first pint down the pub with his mates - priceless

Quiet respect is what I plan to do. And pay respect to every person involved in conflict on behalf of this home turf.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:33   #37
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

Give your son my best wishes, I know what he and you are about to go through having had my youngest son do 2 tours out there and having been on operational tours myself.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 19:58   #38
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

Quote:
It's very VERY likely that your nephew will return after his tour with shorter hair than he used to have and with lots of tales to tell. And a tan.
Be ready for the 'toilet' humour and the scares.
He has already got very short hair and toilet humour. As I almost brought him up as his Father was not with My Sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Give your son my best wishes, I know what he and you are about to go through having had my youngest son do 2 tours out there and having been on operational tours myself.
He is my Nephew but I treat him like a son as I have just said above.

Thank you 2 for the wishes. A nice field of poppies and what a beautiful picture I have found.

Old 04-11-2011, 21:17   #39
Blackened
Inactive

Blackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpackBlackened has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
But somehow the paper poppy seems much nicer.
Absolutely, Maggy.
Go to the Veterans with your kids and put a couple quid in the box and watch your kids eyes light up as the gentleman/lady pins a poppy on their coat, shake their hand and show them you appreciate the opportunity to be there with your kids thanking them.

I'll be there with my kids on Remembrance Day, remembering our heroes.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 19:39   #40
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The badge arrived today! Talk about close timing!
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 19:55   #41
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Just incase anybody doesn't know why a poppy is used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_poppy
Old 28-10-2016, 23:49   #42
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Poppy Appeal

Add a Twibbon to your twitter profile picture or facebook cover

http://twibbon.com/support/poppy-appeal-2016

Last edited by thenry; 28-10-2016 at 23:57.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote