Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | A few thruths about Virgin media engineers (Kelly Communication ones!)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

A few thruths about Virgin media engineers (Kelly Communication ones!)

Old 04-12-2016, 12:20   #136
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road
Re: A few thruths about Virgin media engineers (Kelly Communication ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
I know one of the yards where installers work out of has had 15 new starters in 2 months and all but 1 have quit.

The one that hasn't, has moved to another job within kelly communications.

The reason they all quit is because you are paid £60 per day and expected to work up to 16 hours for that.
But look at what's happening with Uber and the recent court case. Hermes too.

I've been saying for years on this forum that Kelly's, Quinn's and the rest of them are operating a tax scam that's costing HMRC tens of millions and is circumventing the minimum wage laws. It was legal until the Uber case, but I'm not sure it is now. It's debatable. I'd like to see it taken to court to test it.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2016, 14:12   #137
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
I know one of the yards where installers work out of has had 15 new starters in 2 months and all but 1 have quit.

The one that hasn't, has moved to another job within kelly communications.

The reason they all quit is because you are paid £60 per day and expected to work up to 16 hours for that.

Illegal surely as thats way below minmum wage (Living Wage) about £115 a day for 16 hours.
Old 04-12-2016, 14:43   #138
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
[/B]

Illegal surely as thats way below minmum wage (Living Wage) about £115 a day for 16 hours.
You would think it would be but they have been doing that for years and getting away with it, and they will continue to get away with it.

People wonder why a poor job is done on installs and why poeple have issues after being installed, but given how many jobs people are given per day and how little they are paid, then they just rush them in.

Either way being a residential installer is not something I would recommend and would instead tell people, to go stacking shelves as it will be less hours for more money even on minimum wage.
Old 04-12-2016, 16:59   #139
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
You would think it would be but they have been doing that for years and getting away with it, and they will continue to get away with it.

People wonder why a poor job is done on installs and why poeple have issues after being installed, but given how many jobs people are given per day and how little they are paid, then they just rush them in.

Either way being a residential installer is not something I would recommend and would instead tell people, to go stacking shelves as it will be less hours for more money even on minimum wage.
Neither would i,maybe an ex employee ought to report them for underpayment of minimum wage.

Those working conditions sound like a throwback to the 19th century.
Old 04-12-2016, 18:02   #140
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
expected to work up to 16 hours for that.
A slight exaggeration perhaps? 16 hours would be 8am to midnight without a break.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 21:36   #141
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:

You say they'll get away with it forever (and it's the same for the Openreach contractors too), but I wonder if they will.

I always thought the likes of Hermes and Uber would get away with it forever and they haven't. All it needs is for someone to take them to court.

You would expect HMRC would, as these installers would fail HMRC'a self employment flow chart (which I know well). If they phoned up HMRC they would be told that they are employed, not self employed.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:20   #142
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
A slight exaggeration perhaps? 16 hours would be 8am to midnight without a break.

Try 6am till 10pm with no breaks, it's not a exaggeration.

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
You say they'll get away with it forever (and it's the same for the Openreach contractors too), but I wonder if they will.

I always thought the likes of Hermes and Uber would get away with it forever and they haven't. All it needs is for someone to take them to court.

You would expect HMRC would, as these installers would fail HMRC'a self employment flow chart (which I know well). If they phoned up HMRC they would be told that they are employed, not self employed.

I honestly believe they will continue to get away with it, since HMRC have been aware of this for at least 10 years or more.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45   #143
MrIca
Inactive

Quote:
Try 6am till 10pm with no breaks, it's not a exaggeration.

---------- Post added at 06:20 ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 ----------

....HMRC have been aware of this for at least 10 years or more.
Sure, but they can't ignore the case law coming through from legal cases against the other companies.